I was wondering if anyone runs an offense that is not point guard reliant. I have a pretty decent junior varsity girl's squad this year. I have solid post players and wings but I don't have a ton of guards. I have a couple decent ballhandlers but they are not pure point guards. I discussed this situation with the varsity head coach and he suggested a two guard offense. However, I have not really found one that I like yet. If you have any recommendations I could use the help. If anyone has a offense they would like to share I can be reached at coachnare@yahoo.com

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andrew,

In the past 24 years, I have often had teams without pure point guards. I have always been a believer in getting the ball up the court quickly. As such, we stress that all of our players be able to handle the basketball. Next time you watch a game (at any level) chart how many points are scored off of your half-court offense. On the other side of the paper, chart how many points come off of transition, offensive rebounding, and free throws. You will be stunned.

Regardless of the set you decide upon, keep in mind that this game is still primarily played in transition. There are alot of great offenses. Just remember to use only what you can teach.

Best of luck,

Dave Edinger
Peachtree City, GA
Most people feel that you need a guard to run an offense. WRONG. Any person can run a offense. All you need is anyone to basically bring up the ball. A flex motion offense doesnt require much dribbling at all and everybody gets good shots. But if you have good post players get a lot of differnt post player enteries like down on the blocks or at the elbows even. Have the guards pass and cut threw. On the opposite side have a guards exchange on the backside corner and elbows to eliminate help defense on the post.

Coach Jared Neff
Thanks Jeff we ended up running a 4-1 motion with similar ball movement

Jared said:
Most people feel that you need a guard to run an offense. WRONG. Any person can run a offense. All you need is anyone to basically bring up the ball. A flex motion offense doesnt require much dribbling at all and everybody gets good shots. But if you have good post players get a lot of differnt post player enteries like down on the blocks or at the elbows even. Have the guards pass and cut threw. On the opposite side have a guards exchange on the backside corner and elbows to eliminate help defense on the post.

Coach Jared Neff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

© 2014   Created by Coach Drew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service