I am looking for some "new" full court transition drills....I already have the following:

1. 5 on 5 call drill - one team on the baseline and the other at the free throw line

2. 5 on 5 change drill - one team has the ball and is running offense; coach blows the whistle and player with ball sets ball down; offense now becomes defense; and you cannot guard the same player that was guarding you

3. 5 man weave into 3 on 2 into 2 on 1

These are just a few of what I have, any new drills would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Alex Stewart

Tags: drills, transition

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Alex,

I found a few transition drills on our other page BasketballPlaybook.org

There a few more on the Youth Basketball Drills page.  I am trying to pull more off of Basketball Playbook but it takes a minute to go through them. If you do end up checking out Basketball Playbook and see any you like will you please paste a link somewhere so I can add it.

Thanks!

Coach check our the attachment.  There are some free clinic notes; some of which have to deal with youth basketball drills.
Attachments:

Great Thread!

5 on a side:

Coach 1 at half court with 5 defensive players

Coach 2 at FT line with ball and 5 offensive players

Coach 2 shoots ball, players rebound and transition

Coach 1 has option to put 1-5 players in and offensive team has to attempt to get the best shot.  If we don't have a good look we go right into secondary

We run a drill called "444." Three teams of 4 players. Two teams in a half court with third on opposite baseline. Defense rebounds (or inbounds on made shot) and transitions up the floor to offense. Team on opposite baseline must sprint and pick up defensively at half court. First team on offense goes to baseline opposite. Play continues until you stop drill.
I really like this drill (attached) because it makes your team think, talk, and hustle all in one drill that is fun for the players. It may be a little confusing, if so I may be able to explain it a little easier. Hope this helps!
Attachments:

My favorite starts off with 3 players in each corner of the court.  

Two offensive players start with a 2 on 1 from half court. On the score or turnover one player from each corner on the defensive half of the court step on for a 3 on 2 break the other way (the two offense players are now on defense)

On the score or turnover one player from each corner on the defensive half of the court step on for a now 4 on 3 break the other way (the three offense players are now on defense)

On the score or turnover one player from each corner on the defensive half of the court step on for a 5 on 4 break the other way (the four offense players are now on defense)

Then we start over with the three players who didn't get in.  We run this for 5 - 10 minutes or until I see people getting tired.

There are so many coaching opportunities that I can't list them all but it's a great transition drill for offense and defense.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsor

© 2014   Created by Coach Drew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service