Location: Garden City, Kansas
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Coaching – Basketball
Jr. Collegiate Sports
Provides coaching and administrative support to the Head Women’s Basketball Coach. Additionally, this position works with the Residential Life department as a Residential Life Coach in which compensation is room and board.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coaching/Teaching- Utilize sport specific field/floor coaching and teaching strategies/methods during games/practices to optimize season long success of sport/team.
Recruiting- Identify and secure high-level student athletes for sport participation and award appropriate scholarship amounts while abiding by all rules and regulations prescribed by the NJCAA, Region VI, KJCAA and Garden City Community College.
- Supervising/Disciplining Athletes- Monitor, redirect, and report (to head coach) the behavior of student-athletes in assigned sport while in settings on and off campus, including student housing, where athletes are representing Garden City Community College to ensure the highest standards of citizenship, sportsmanship, academic success and conduct.
- Academic Monitoring- Work with the Office of Student Success Services and the Faculty to assure eligibility status and appropriate academic progress of the student-athlete. Specific attention should be given to encouraging an athlete toward completion of graduation requirements.
- Other duties and guidelines as assigned by the Head Coach and the Director of Athletics.
Residential Life Coach
- This position requires 7 nights a month of on call duty between the hours of 5 PM to 2 AM (or) 6 PM to 3 AM.
- Attend all scheduled Residential Life meetings throughout the academic year.
Be on duty and walk rounds as assigned with the Residents Assistant, Assistant Director and/or Residential Life Advisor, assuming responsibility for enforcing residential life policy, security, and any submitting reports.
- Be familiar with residence halls and all residents.
- Enforce and uphold all school policies.
- Report damage, maintenance needs and unclean conditions to the Residential Life Office Manager.
- To assist in the development of Garden City Community women’s basketball student-athletes in the areas of athletic performance, academic achievement, and social awareness.
- To understand and adhere to NJCAA, KJCAA, Region VI, and Garden City Community College policies and procedures.
- To demonstrate leadership on the campus of Garden City Community College through athletics.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: 2-3 years of similar or related experience.
Education: An associate degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the college for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: Associate degree plus 1-2 years’ experience with a college-level program or as a high school head coach. Must have knowledge of NJCAA, KJCAA, and Region VI rules and regulations. Recruiting experience preferred. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are necessary. Ability to maintain confidential information in professional manner required. Computer proficiency necessary (Microsoft Office preferred).
Physical Requirements: Individual should possess the physical dexterity to demonstrate basketball specific drills and be able to lift at least 50 lbs. on a daily basis. Individual will be required to travel for recruiting and conferences and must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
Work Environment: Work will be conducted in an office setting and in various indoor athletic facilities.