Adjunct Faculty – Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Ideal Candidate Statement
Ohlone College seeks to employ faculty members who have a passion for teaching and learning and a strong commitment to the missions and ideals of the community college. We are looking for excellent teachers who are student-oriented in their approach and dedicated to student success. An ideal candidate will be skilled in generating student engagement in learning. Innovative teaching strategies are encouraged at Ohlone, including collaborative learning and the active use of technology. Continuous professional development is highly valued. We are looking for faculty with enthusiastic interest in curriculum and instructional improvement through ongoing critical thinking about student learning outcomes in courses and programs.
The ideal Ohlone faculty member will have strong leadership skills and an interest in active participation in college-wide activities. Excellent communication skills with students, staff and faculty peers are essential. We are looking for faculty who are flexible in their work and adaptable to change. Ohlone prides itself as a Learning College with the motto of “A World of Cultures United in Learning” and we are looking for faculty who embrace diversity in serving students of varied backgrounds and learning styles. The College is committed to environmental sustainability and looks to all employees to support this important goal.
Under the direction of the Dean of Kinesiology, Athletics, and Arts, perform all duties normally expected of a community college head coach including the following:
- Recruitment of players, scheduling contests, plan and supervision of practices, games and travel, assist in hiring assistant coaches, maintain positive relationships with all feeder programs, prepare budgets, conduct fundraising activities, adhere to district, conference and CCCAA regulations, and teach Athletic, Kinesiology, Physical Education, and/or Health classes designed to support the department and enhance men’s basketball.
- Coaching and teaching assignments not to exceed 67% workload in any single semester.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties for this position include the standard instructional responsibilities for one or more classes in the Kinesiology and Athletics Department: teaching, grading, meeting with students (formal office hours are not required), class roster management and timely submission of grades.
- Teaching experience at the community college level desired but not required.
- Master’s Degree in Physical Education or related field with two years of coaching men’s basketball.
1. Any Bachelor’s Degree and two years of professional basketball coaching experience OR any Associate Degree and six years of professional basketball coaching experience OR the equivalent AND
2. Commitment to community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for culturally, socio-economically, ethnically, and academically diverse students and students with disabilities; personal qualities to work effectively and with sensitivity in a multicultural environment; awareness of and commitment to the needs of non-traditional and/or re-entry students with diverse abilities and interests.
Starting Salary Range: Hourly Lecturer: $74.40-$111.23; Hourly Lab: $63.88-$95.50 DOE
Number of Vacancies 1
Open Date 04/22/2020
Open Until Filled Yes
If you do not meet minimum qualifications as stated, a completed equivalency portfolio with all related documents must accompany the application or your packet will not be considered. The equivalency form can be found at the following link: https://vle456.wixsite.com/ohlone
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
- College Tuition Waiver for employees and qualified dependents.
- Participation in 403B/457 Retirement Plans.
- Participation in California State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) Cash Balance and Defined Benefit plans.
Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986
Applicants selected for positions will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal “Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986.”
A multi-campus single community college district, Ohlone College is located in the southern portion of the San Francisco Bay in California; serving 12,000 students per year. The District has a main campus in the City of Fremont and a campus in the City of Newark. Ohlone College is an ethnically diverse institution that promotes innovation and continuous improvement in departments and divisions. The College is named for the native population living in the area when Mission San Jose was founded. The Fremont campus is located just south of the historical Mission. The Newark Campus is located near Interstate 880 and emphasizes programs in health, environment, and technology.
The District is strongly committed to the principles of equal opportunity and to hiring qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our community. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age (40 or over), medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability, military and veteran status, pregnancy/childbirth/breastfeeding or related medical condition or any other protected basis in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. The college encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
If you have a disability and are in need of special services, equipment, or facilities in order to apply or interview for this opening, please call the Human Resources office at: (510) 659-6088.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon Governing Board approval. Employment with Ohlone Community College is not complete or official until applicants meet all pre-employment requirements. All new employees are required to submit official transcripts and proof of freedom from tuberculosis. In addition you will be required to provide identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the federal “Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986.” Pre-employment tests and/or medical examinations may be required. Ohlone Community College does not sponsor H1B visas. Employees must sign the Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance and submit fingerprints for CA Department of Justice clearance.
To apply for the position, please visit:
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.