Location: Sacramento, California
Preferred Education: 4 Year Degree
Salary: $4,104 – $7,425 per month
Operations – Marketing/Promotions
Within the classification range; commensurate with candidate’s education, experience, skills, and training.
Internal Number: 511386
Sacramento State Athletic seeks a dynamic, collaborative, hands-on marketing leader with a strategic and consistent approach for the development and support of innovative athletics marketing for its NCAA Division I sports programs.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Athletic Director of External Affairs, the External Marketing Specialist is responsible for developing marketing strategies and relationships that consistently promote Sacramento State Athletics. This position will coordinate with the digital, social, ticketing and in-game promotion team members to ensure the execution of various marketing campaigns and ultimately, accomplish strategic marketing initiatives of the Department. The ongoing development of marketing partnerships across numerous marketing channels will be expected and this role will incorporate the relevant sponsorships into marketing elements as appropriate.
Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for developing season ticket promotions for football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball. They will be expected to travel to designated away-game competitions to distribute advance ticket sales and gate sales. The incumbent will also attend designated away-game events to promote Sacramento State athletics through all social media channels and enhance the fan experience.
Entry to the first level within this classification requires knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
- Experience with marketing, ticketing, sponsorship fulfillment, social media strategy and/or a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of a diverse population, both independently and as a team member
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced, customer service environment
- Ability to design and distribute brochures for promotional purposes
- Ability to provide lead work direction to support staff
- Ability to interpret policies, rules and regulations (e.g. campus, CSU, NCAA) Working knowledge of financial recordkeeping and procedures with the ability to compile data and prepare reports
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with current and prospective donors as well as coaches
- Ability to support and contribute to the mission, goals, and objectives of the program/department
- Ability to use discretion when dealing with sensitive information (e.g. credit card transactions, handling cash)
- Ability to develop a strong commitment to the student-athlete experience
- Demonstrated strong commitment to inclusion and diversity including but not limited to differences in ethnicity, national origin, race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification and ability.
Work Schedule Requirements:
- Ability to work weekends and evenings Ability to travel
Condition of Employment
- Ability to pass a background check
- Knowledge of computerized ticketing systems
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles
- Knowledge of marketing strategies
- Knowledge of NCAA and compliance
- Experience working in a collegiate athletics environment
- 2-3 years’ experience working in an athletic external relations and/or ticketing environment or related field
- Experienced PC user with knowledge of Windows Outlook and good working knowledge of Blackbod donor system or similar donor system and familiarity with the Axis or similar ticketing system
- Demonstrated ability working on websites that are used as a communication tool for donors and fans
Valid driver’s license and maintenance of good driving record, for occasional driving per the Essential Functions of the position