Assistant Coach, Men’s Basketball
Closes: Apr 25, 2021 – 11:59 PM EDT
Job Type:Full Time
About The College of Wooster:
Wooster offers an excellent, comprehensive liberal arts education, culminating in a rigorous senior project, in which each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to conceive, organize and complete a significant research project on a topic of the student’s own choosing. Through this distinctive program, every Wooster student develops abilities valued by employers and graduate schools alike: independent judgment, analytical ability, creativity, project-management and time-management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. Founded in 1866, the college enrolls approximately 2,000 students.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Health, Dental, Retirement, and Tuition Remission.
The College of Wooster is seeking a Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach. This position serves the Department of Athletics and Physical Education in the Division of Academic Affairs. The position reports to the Director of Athletics and supports the mission of the College in its focus on preparing students to become leaders of character and influence in an interdependent global community. This is a ten (10) month position with benefits that includes morning, evening, and weekend responsibilities.
The assistant coach will support the head coach in the coaching duties of the NCAA D-III Men’s Basketball program in accordance and compliance with NCAA, North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and The College of Wooster policies and regulations. The assistant coach will also participate in all aspects of recruitment, training of student-athletes, and the total organization and administration of the program, as assigned. Additional responsibilities may be assigned in areas such as teaching, game management, committee work, and administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in planning, development, and direction of all team training and conditioning activities at a level that will maintain the Men’s Basketball program’s position of competitive leadership in the North Coast Athletic Conference and the NCAA Division III.
- Assist in preparation and implementation of scouting reports, game film, film breakdown, and film exchange.
- Assist in developing a recruitment strategy for prospective student athletes, informing prospects of academic programs, talent evaluations, coordinating mailings, telephone calls and text messages, and email exchanges.
- Work effectively with the office of admissions to meet recruitment goals.
- Assist in administrative operations including budget management, coordinating team travel, room reservations, and meals, and ordering equipment and supplies.
- Assist in the development of a strong alumni and parent support system.
- Assist in developing a strong social media platform.
- Assist in engaging team members in community service activities.
- All coaches may be assigned additional duties in the area of facility and game management and teaching. These responsibilities are determined annually by the Chair of Physical Education, Event Manager, Facility Manager, and Director (Associate Director) of Athletics and Physical Education.
- Serve as an active member of the athletic department’s team, responsible for providing leadership, goals, and program implementation to our nearly 2,000 undergraduate students.
- Develop and maintain mutually supportive and collaborative working relationships with student affairs colleagues, faculty, and other campus partners to accomplish shared objectives and tasks.
- Lead and assist with designated departmental, divisional, and/or College committees, initiatives and processes.
- Develop meaningful connections with students, staff and faculty by being available and visible on campus.
- Engage team members in service activities both on campus and in the surrounding community.
- Create a welcoming environment emphasizing inclusion and the development of diverse identities, beliefs, and voices.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and compliance with the College’s and Department of Athletics and Physical Education policies and procedures as well as the NCAC and NCAA constitutions, bylaws, legislation and regulations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the priorities and ideals of The College of Wooster and the Department of Athletics and Physical Education.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university
- One to two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience; knowledge and understanding of the sport
- Knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification is required (can be completed after hire)
The College of Wooster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex/gender, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, political affiliation, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, disability, age, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy, or by state, local, or federal law. All offers of employment are subject to verification of the legal right to work in the United States as required by federal law. The College of Wooster is committed by policy and practice to diversity, equity and inclusion. For more information on our nondiscrimination policy visit: https://www.wooster.edu/info/nondiscrimination
For highest consideration please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references which includes name, telephone number and email address.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.