Location: Walla Walla, Washington
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Coaching – Basketball
Internal Number: 2977403
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman’s vibrant and beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse, dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is cultivating a community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge, and insights from lived experience can add to the college’s working and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (EEO) .
Assist the head coach with all aspects of the Men’s Basketball program. This position is a 0.77 FTE that works 1600 annual hours.
This position reports directly to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the head coach in the organization and preparation of practices and in conducting safe and strategic individual and team training sessions and competitive strategies.
- Supports the head coach in the development and incorporation of a comprehensive recruiting plan that demonstrates successful results for the recruitment, yield and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes.
- Serves as a mentor, teacher, leader and role model to a diverse group of student-athletes.
- Helps develop and implement game plans, reports, strategies and on-court duties as assigned.
- Assists in film breakdown of team matches as well as opponent’s films.
- Assists with the arrangement and supervision of transportation, lodging and meals in conjunction with off-campus competition. Works with the team to ensure representation of the college, while off-campus, is at the highest level.
- Coordinates team, summer camp and clinics, alumni and community outreach, and events.
- Assists with securing sponsorships for summer camps and clinics.
- Represents the college and its athletics program with honesty, integrity and sportsmanship at all times to various institutional programs and students, parents, the general public, alumni and external agencies and demonstrates a commitment to the college’s core values of diversity, equity, inclusion and antiracism.
- Develops a positive, professional relationship with officials, league personnel, and coaching colleagues.
- Comprehends, understands and works within the parameters of Whitman College, the NWC and NCAA Division III philosophy and rules.
- Responsible for 40 hours of game management responsibilities as assigned by the Event Management Director.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and the Director of Athletics.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Must be highly motivated and have the ability to work independently and in team settings. Must demonstrate sound judgment and mature decision-making abilities. Ability to positive and actively advance the college’s core values of diversity, equity, inclusion and antiracism. Attention to detail in planning and communicating. Comfort and confidence with recruiting, practice and training modes, competitive strategies, film analysis and social media is preferred.
Bachelor’s degree and coaching experience at the college level, or equivalent significant high school/club coaching experience, is preferred. Must have the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision and life insurances, a generous 10% matching contribution to the Whitman College 403(b) Defined Contribution Retirement Plan, and paid time off including 13 paid holidays for full-time staff vacation and sick leave. Learn more about benefits eligibility here.
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community. Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have an approved exemption. More information can be found here.
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability accommodation in the employment application process.
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April 17, 2022.
July 1, 2022
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=178
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.