Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Required Education: High School
Coaching – Basketball
About Franklin & Marshall College: Franklin & Marshall College is recruiting for a part-time Assistant Men’s Basketball.
Franklin & Marshall College is a residential college dedicated to excellence in undergraduate liberal education. Its aims are to inspire in young people of high promise and diverse backgrounds a genuine and enduring love for learning, to teach them to read, write, and think critically, to instill in them the capacity for both independent and collaborative action, and to educate them to explore and understand the natural, social and cultural worlds in which they live. In so doing, the College seeks to foster in its students qualities of intellect, creativity, and character, that they may live fulfilling lives and contribute meaningfully to their occupations, their communities, and their world.
Franklin & Marshall sponsors 27 intercollegiate teams, and nearly 30 percent of the student body competes in varsity sports. The College also offers five intramural sports and numerous club sports. F&M regards its coaches as educators first and is committed to providing the resources necessary to help them be the best teachers, mentors and leaders they can be for our students.
Job Description: The Assistant Coach is responsible for providing effective leadership for, and day-to-day management of the basketball program. The Assistant Coach is responsible for supporting the academic mission of the College through athletics, and to teach student-athletes, explicitly and by example, leadership and values-based decision-making. The Assistant Coach provides management and oversight of the program in the absence of the Head Coach.
- Implements and maintains a standard of performance consistent with the College’s goals of academic and athletic excellence. Promotes academic achievement among athletes. Consults with and works collaboratively with the Athletic Director and the Associate Athletic Director regarding the academic performance of student-athletes as appropriate.
- Provides instruction, mentoring, coaching, evaluation of, and guidance to student-athletes to allow them to develop their athletic skills and abilities to maximum potential. Assists Head Coach in determining appropriate coaching methods and strategies in consultation with the Director of Athletics & Recreation. Provides effective leadership, mentoring and supervision to student-athletes.
- Conducts programs within the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the Centennial Conference, Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association, College Squash Association, Middle Atlantic Rowing Conference and the governing body of the sport. Supports, monitors and applies relevant rules and regulations developed by the Athletic Department Compliance Office, including the Code of Conduct and sportsmanship guidelines.
- Cooperates with Health Services and Athletic Trainers to assure injured athletes receive proper treatment. Understands that all medical decisions related to a student athlete’s health and well being is the responsibility of the team physician and Certified Athletic Trainers and all final decisions regarding participation in practice and games lies with the medical staff. All known medical history related to injury or illness must be reported to the medical staff.
- Assists Head Coach with managing the program within budgetary guidelines to avoid exceeding budgetary limits. Submits all budget-related reports as required in a timely manner. Advises the Head Coach of resource needs, including funding needs and staffing needs. Assists Head Coach in formulating annual budget requests as necessary.
- Assists head coach with film exchange, video operations, and development of opponent scouting reports
- Assists head coach with managing and developing team social media content, community outreach efforts, and alumni relations
- Assists head coach with team travel, scheduling, and other day to day basketball operations
- Help assure facilities and equipment are prepared in advance of practice sessions and games/meets/matches. Report and monitor proper maintenance of equipment and practice and contest facilities to ensure safe playing conditions.
- Assists Head coach in developing and implementing recruiting strategies and programs to identify and attract promising athletes and provide prompt follow-up to inquiries from potential athletes.
- Participate in relevant training and professional development activities to enhance work-related skills and knowledge, including attending conferences as requested.
Learn more about Athletics.
- High school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- at least 1 year of experience coaching basketball, preferable 2+ years.
- Current CPR, AED, and first aid certification required.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Must pass the NCAA Division III Coaches Test
- Must be certified to drive College vans per College policies.
- The ability and willingness to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with students, faculty and staff, and other constituencies is essential.
- Evidence of commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Successful interview.