Reporting to the head coach for a sport, the assistant coach is responsible for supporting and assisting the athletic team in a wide variety of tasks. The assistant coach works collaboratively with the Athletics department staff and other groups on campus to extend and enhance Student Development and Student Success both in and out of the classroom. This individual participates as needed within several groups and committees on campus such as community service, recruitment and fundraising.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Assist in organization, administration and coaching of the athletic program according to the administrative policies of the university and department.
2. Assist in organization of practices, competitions, and travel arrangements as directed by the head coach.
3. Assist with recruiting efforts on and off campus inclusive of attendance at recruiting fairs, showcases, games and placing phone calls to recruits.
4. Assist in the development of student-athletes athletically and academically through mentoring.
5. Conduct junior varsity practice and game preparation as dictated by the head coach.
6. Comply with all rules affiliated with Malone University, the Conference and the NCAA Division II.
7. Possess ability to communicate the Mission of the University and the Athletic Department Philosophy and Goals to students. Demonstrate a commitment to University Mission and the Athletic Department Goals and Learning Outcomes.
8. Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director and the head coach
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must exhibit a personal understanding of, and operate in concert with the Mission statement and Foundational Principles of the University. A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree preferred. Coaching experience and a working knowledge of recruiting principals is preferred.
A proven ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing is essential.Proven effective relational skills are also required. A demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of people and a demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively solve problems and complete projects independently is essential. Computer literacy (Microsoft Office) is required, a readiness to navigate the recruiting database (JRM) is essential.
Proven time management skills, the ability to prioritize and record keeping abilities are essential. Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality of sensitive materials is essential. Current valid driver’s license and availability for frequent regional travel is required. Hours per week are anticipated to vary based on the needs and fluctuations of the practice and competition cycle. Evening, weekend and overnight commitments will be necessary at times.
Malone University is also seeking applicants for three graduate assistant coaching positions in Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, and Women’s Basketball
Responsibilities of each graduate assistant position include assisting the Head Coach with all areas of a competitive NCAA Division II athletic program.Specific duties will be assigned in the following areas:
- Planning and execution of practices, including off-season and small group training
- Gameday coaching.
- Facility preparation/set-up
- Film analysis (as required by sport)-care and management of program equipment
- Coordination and assistance in recruiting efforts
- Academic monitoring
- Campus and community relations
- Perform office related tasks and other duties as assigned by each Head Coach
A bachelor’s degree is required and successful candidate must be accepted into one of Malone University’s graduate programs. Travel and extended working hours, including nights and weekends are required. Prior collegiate athletic experience highly preferred.
- Applicants must comply with NCAA, G-MAC and Malone University rules and regulations.
- Candidates should possess strong organizational, written/oral communication skills and abide by Malone’s Mission and Foundational Principles.
- Candidate must have/obtain a valid driver’s license.
NOTE: The offer of employment and assignment to duties is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check (to be administered by the Malone Human Resources office).
To apply for any of the four openings, please send letter of application, resume, a statement of your faith journey and a list of at least three references (names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses) to the head coach of the position you wish to apply for (see contact information below).
Women’s Basketball: Selana Reale (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Men’s Soccer: Brock Kertoy (email@example.com)
Women’s Soccer: Bailey Shattell (firstname.lastname@example.org)