ATHLETIC COACH – MEN’S BASKETBALL
The University of New Hampshire is an R1 Carnegie classification research institution providing comprehensive, high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs of distinction. UNH is located in Durham on a 188-acre campus, 60 miles north of Boston and 8 miles from the Atlantic coast, and is convenient to New Hampshire’s lakes and mountains. There is a student enrollment of 13,000 students, with a full-time faculty of over 600, offering 90 undergraduate and more than 70 graduate programs. The University actively promotes a dynamic learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives, life experiences, and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry.
The UNH Diversity Resource Guide with information and programming available in the seacoast area, New Hampshire and the region can be found here: https://www.unh.edu/hr/diversity-resource-guide
Summary of Position
The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach will assist the head coach in planning, fundraising and maintaining the Men’s Basketball program including developing game plans; training and conditioning programs; organizing practice sessions and recruiting talented student-athletes to enhance performance of a highly visible sport to compete successfully against opponents at the NCAA Division I level, while ensuring the welfare of the Student-Athletes.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Assist the head coach in planning and maintaining the Men’s Basketball program including developing game plans;training and conditioning programs; organizing practice sessions; developing and retaining athletically talented student-athletes to compete successfully within the conference, regionally and or nationally.
- Encourage student-athletes to perform to their highest academic potential, assist in monitoring student-athletes’ progress toward degree requirements to remain eligible. Give attention to the retention and eligibility of student-athletes as it impacts your sport’s Academic Progress Rate (APR) and Graduation Success Rate (GSR).
- Assist the head Men’s Basketball coach in engaging team members in community outreach activities.
- Assess talent and actively recruit talented student-athletes to the Men’s basketball program who are suitable for the UNH academic programs.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a strong alumni, parent, and booster support for the Men’s basketball team, including assistance with the team’s booster group. Promote the sport in the state, New England , the region and nationally. Assist the head coach in pursuit of strong print and media attention.
- Pass the NCAA coaches certification test, attend all mandatory NCAA compliance meetings and maintain appropriate forms and documentation in office files to be reviewed upon request. Maintain competency with respect to knowledge of, compliance with, state and federal laws, University policies/ regulations, America East Conference rules/policies, and NCAA rules. Report to the Director of Athletics any violation of NCAA, conference, and or institutional rules.
- Assist with fundraising, camps, clinics, and fundraising for scholarships to support the Men’s basketball program.
- Represent the University on a high professional level, with dignity, integrity, and strength of character. Respect the rights and dignity of each student-athlete, display sensitivity to diversity issues and work to create an inclusive and welcoming environment
- Maintain competency with respect to knowledge of and compliance with state and federal laws, university policies/regulations, conference rules/policies, and NCAA rules, and report to the Director of Athletics your knowledge of any violation of NCAA, conference and/or institutional rules.
Acceptable Minimum Level of Education: Bachelor’s degree
Acceptable Minimum Years of Experience: 3-5 years
Other Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years collegiate coaching experience; Expertise in coaching and recruiting at a high level. Strong communication, both written and oral, and computer skills required.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Public relations/fundraising skills. Ability to coordinate and supervise staff.
Salary is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
To view description and apply, visit https://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/39731
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.