- Represent University of Alaska Fairbanks and the Athletic Department in a positive manner with the highest degree of ethics and integrity.
- Promote and support mission of University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Provide visionary leadership and strategic planning for the Athletic Department creating and sustaining a culture of transparency, professionalism, integrity and respect at all levels.
- Work with the University of Alaska Fairbanks development office to raise funds for the athletic department.
- Supervise a plan for community relations with corporate sponsors, donors, alumni, and other external stakeholders to ensure maximum positive exposure and visibility of the Athletic Department.
- Generate enthusiasm and financial support for the athletic programs through ticket sales, merchandise, corporate sponsorship, giving, etc.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with all internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, University personnel, students, alumni, donors, corporate partners, students, fans, local and state government agencies, the community, the GNAC, PCSC, PRC, RMISA, NCAA and other professional organizations.
- Establish and maintain a strong relationship with the UAF student body and generate enthusiasm for sports.
- Administer the overall athletic budget to preserve and protect the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics’ financial self-sufficiency in a manner consistent with the university’s operating policies and procedures.
- Develop, administer, and communicate the Athletic Department’s strategic plan including, but not limited to the mission and goals of the Athletic Department.
- Direct, supervise, and evaluate all aspects of men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletics teams.
- Ensure an environment that is committed to the best interest of student-athletes consistent with their educational, social, emotional and physical development.
- Foster high standards of athletic and academic excellence for athletics teams and coaches.
- Support the professional development of the administrative and coaching staffs, promote their accomplishments, and establish positive morale and relationships.
- Hire and maintain a staff of head coaches and trainers who are nationally recognized for their coaching/training records and their contributions to both their profession and to the academic well-being of student-athletes.
- Hire and maintain an athletics professional staff who is committed to professionalism, compliance, community relations, and student-athlete well-being.
- Foster a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness throughout all levels of the organization.
- Serve as the primary department spokesperson for the Athletic Department.
- Manage multiple conferences: independent conference (hockey), Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) (basketball, volleyball, cross country running), Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference (PCSC) (swimming), Patriot Rifle Conference (PRC) (rifle), Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association (RMISA) (cross country skiing).
- Manage two divisions (Division I and Division II) and sports competing at a different division than the division in which they are.
- Participate fully in conference and national activities.
- Be ready, willing, and excited to become a part of the community of Fairbanks in the Last Frontier.
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Excellent external relations and revenue generating skills. Expert leadership, persuasion and public administration skills. Ability to create, implement, assess, and shape the direction of programs and policies based on system needs and strategic, University-level goals and objectives. Ability to direct and manage multiple complex units. Ability to manage multiple conferences and divisions.
Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations. Demonstrated experience and expertise in fiscal planning and budget management. Demonstrated commitment to a program of academic and athletic excellence. Demonstrated experience in donor development and fundraising. Demonstrated revenue-generating sport experience. Demonstrated strategic planning and implementation experience. Demonstrated experience and expertise in public relations. Demonstrated experience and expertise in public/community relations. Demonstrated experience and expertise in strategic and business planning. Demonstrated experience and expertise in diversity, inclusion, gender equity and Title IX. Demonstrated experience in league negotiation, divisional change status, and change in conference affiliation.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
Master’s degree in relevant field and six years progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of training, skillset, and experience. Preferred experience working in a multidivisional athletic department and significant fundraising experience.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination