Location: Claremont, California
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Coaching – Basketball
Internal Number: REQ4610
BASIC FUNCTION: This position is responsible for assisting the Head Women’s Soccer Coach in all facets of the program, including but not limited to: organizing and conducting team training and practices, recruiting, team travel logistics, scholar-athlete development, and compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. Additional administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Head Coach. This position will also have additional administrative responsibilities within the CMS Athletics department or another department across Claremont McKenna College dependent upon departmental need, candidate qualifications and interest. Given our commitment to cultivating an inclusive educational environment, we seek candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to teaching, mentoring, and inspiring students representing a broad range of socioeconomic backgrounds, political opinion, genders, races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, and religions. The Joint CMS Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation Program is comprised of student-athletes from Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, and Scripps Colleges and offers a comprehensive program of regular physical education, intramural, recreational, club and varsity sports. CMS varsity teams compete in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC), as a member of NCAA Division III. The Program is comprised of 21 varsity sports (10 men’s, 11 women’s) and supports a student population of over 3,200 and a student-athlete population of approximately 530.
Reporting to the Head Women’s Basketball Coach, the assistant coach works both independently and collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Assist head coach with developing and implementing training and instruction for practices and competitions.
- Provide assistance with all administrative aspects of the sport program. This includes but is not limited to: prompt completion of all administrative paperwork, team travel logistics, creation of practice plans, scholar-athlete and team development and collaboration with CMS athletics staff in the areas of sports medicine, business operations, compliance, equipment, facilities and events.
- Recruit and retain academically qualified student-athletes to the highly selective liberal arts institutions of Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd and Scripps Colleges.
- Represent CMS Athletic Department and the women’s basketball program in a positive manner within the SCIAC as well as regionally and nationally.
Athletic Department or Campus Operations (33%):
- Assist the CMS Athletics Department during the off-season for the sport program in one of the following areas based on departmental need, qualifications and/or interest level of candidate:
- Facilities and Game Management
- Sports Information
- Equipment Operations
- Internal Operations; OR
- Assist Claremont McKenna College within another department across campus based on need, qualifications and/or interest level of candidate:
- Facilities and Campus Services
- Dean of Students
- Academic Departments
Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.