Coach Intern for Men’s Basketball
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,300 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna’s unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University’s 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
The Coach Intern reports to the Head Coach and may have a second report relative to an assigned secondary duty. The primary tasks are to assist the Head Coach in all aspects of the program including: plan practices and game strategies; game day responsibilities; and recruiting qualified student-athletes in concert with the academic mission of the University. In addition, a secondary responsibility will be assigned that could include: game management, intramural and club sports, facilities management, or strength & conditioning. The position appointment is for one year, renewable up to a total of three years.
- Assist Head Coach in development of the men’s basketball team.
- Assist Head Coach in identifying and recruiting quality student athletes in concert with the academic mission of the University.
- Assist in developing and maintaining positive team culture and chemistry.
- Assist in mentoring and counseling student-athletes.
- Assisting in planning and conducting practices.
- Assisting in scouting opponents and developing game strategies.
- Assisting in travel planning and making travel arrangements
- Assist in fundraising and community service activities.
- Develop a comprehensive and functional knowledge of the sport.
- Develop and maintain a thorough and continuing familiarity with all applicable University, Landmark Conference, and NCAA regulations.
- Represent the MBB Program, River Hawk Athletics, and Susquehanna University in a positive and professional manner.
- Assist in game day responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Coach or Director of Athletics
Bachelor’s Degree required.
This position requires a valid driver’s license, the ability to drive and qualify under the university’s insurance carrier when driving a university and/or leased vehicle. CPR, AED and First Aid certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Deep understanding of and passion for the sport; Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to build strong collaborative relationships. Requires ability to multi-task and attend to detail. Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work with current students and parents, prospective students and parents, and staff and faculty in a professional manner. Ability to use technology and equipment specific to the sport.
Must possess the physical stamina to effectively coach the sport. Position requires frequent physical exertion including running, walking and jumping. Lifting, pulling, pushing: Exert up to 50 pounds for force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
Special Instructions to the Applicant:
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 10 months38.5 hpw August-May
Other Number of Months: 38.5 hpw August-May
Work Schedule/Hours per Week:
Open Until Filled: No
Anticipated Start Date: 08/03/2020
Posting Number: AH00685
To apply, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/2080