Location: Farmington, Utah
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Operations – Sports Information
Bachelor’s degree required and at least one year of full-time experience in collegiate communications at a university/college or conference office. Experience working with basketball is strongly preferred. Annual salary will be $40,000. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Big Sky Conference is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Big Sky Conference is seeking a Director of Communications or Assistant Director of Communications. The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in sports information or journalism. Candidates will demonstrate initiative and the ability to collaborate with fellow staff members and institutional personnel, and must be proficient with technology (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and StatCrew). The candidate will support the Big Sky Conference and its member institutions to promote and enhance all entities, through press releases, videos, photos, and social media.
The Director of Communications or Assistant Director of Communications will report directly to the Assistant Commissioner for Communications and External Relations and will serve as the primary contact for women’s basketball and other assigned sports. With special attention to social media, the successful candidate should be highly organized, detail-oriented, a good communicator, and possess the ability to handle numerous assignments in a timely manner.
Essential functions include:
- Create and post content for the Big Sky Conference across all platforms, including official website and social media accounts.
- Serve as the media relations liaison for numerous Big Sky Conference championships.
- Work collaboratively with Big Sky Conference sports administrators and championship managers for assigned sports, and continually and consistently communicate information to enhance the perception of the Big Sky Conference, its member institutions and the respective primary sports.
- Work with institutional communications contacts to brainstorm and produce innovative and engaging content for social media platforms, including GIFs, animations, short videos, and other social media-specific content.
- Provide social media oversight for assigned sports; graphic design experience preferred.
- Manage the day-to-day aspects of primary sports, including but not limited to: Statistics; Weekly Releases and Awards; All-Conference Awards; Update BigSkyConf.com and Record Books.
- Assist in the coordination of all communications responsibilities for assigned championship events.
- Provide administrative support for in-person and virtual meetings related to the communications directors, external relations, and coaches meetings.
- Ability to travel to select events.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity in both writing and visual content without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in a small group setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere Pro.
- Proficient in live tweeting on Game Days for assigned sports in person or remotely.
- Working knowledge in planning, managing and executing social and digital media communication initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Extremely organized, self-starter, intrinsically motivated.
- Proven ability to multi-task effectively.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- Experience in Adobe After Effects and Audition.
- Video Broadcast experience.
- Knowledge of NCAA Live Stats.
To Apply: Applicants should submit one e-mail – with separate PDF attachments of a cover letter, a resume, and a list of at least three professional references – with the subject line Director/Assistant Director of Communications: applicant’s name to [email protected].