Description of Position: The Director of Creative Content is responsible for producing video and photo content that portrays the Cal Men’s Basketball story, while maintaining a consistent creative brand and tone across multiple social media platforms. This position will be responsible for the entire video production process, including creative strategy, storyboarding, capturing and editing. This position will require creativity and a strong foundation in video editing, photography, production and understanding of the college athletics landscape. The Director of Creative Content will be responsible for developing the visual brand of Cal Men’s Basketball through photography, videography, and working closely with department video producers, graphic designers, and social media managers to ensure the execution of this brand.
- Plan and create specific visual solutions to communications problems in support of the operational and strategic aspects of the Men’s Basketball program.
- Find the most effective way to get intercollegiate athletics’ messages across in print and electronic media using color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and various print and layout techniques.
- Take photos of the team during photo shoots, practices, and games.
- Responsible for setting up video shoots, including lighting, and camera positioning.
- Video may include footage for social media posts, press conferences, or to be shown on our web site.
- Footage also needs to be edited to a final product including graphic integration and if applicable, additional footage taken from other sources.
- In conjunction with Marketing department, develop and coordinate social media efforts for Men’s Basketball team.
- Deliver compelling programs that maximize reach, engagement, and impact for the Men’s Basketball brand on a local and global scale.
- Coordinate content and the maintenance of Men’s Basketball social media accounts (i.e. community management, promotional sweepstakes, analytics) with the goal of growing and engaging our social media community.
- Ensures all materials adhere to brand identity and guidelines of Cal Athletics. Maintain consistent style, themes, and marketing strategies for all Men’s Basketball creative content.
- Manage production equipment and resources for Men’s Basketball offices. Includes proper storage, upkeep, maintenance of equipment.
- Previous experience working in a college athletics or professional sports organization developing creative content (video, graphics, etc.). Problem-solving skills, multi-tasking abilities, work with frequent interruptions, and effective listener.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Working knowledge of applicable creative software applications including the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Working knowledge to maintain files and image storage.
- Skills to effectively produce videos that meet and satisfy the needs of the client.
- Proficient with using video cameras to shoot footage as well as setting up equipment such as lighting or backdrops.
- Ability to edit footage to use for a variety of formats including television and Internet.
- Knowledge of current social media platforms (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and how to create, implement, and execute a social media strategy and calendar.
- Ability to manage projects from concept to creation.
- Ability to accept feedback as part of the creative process and educate clients on design theory and/or using that feedback to make work stronger.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple parties to best meet goals and objectives of clients.
- Previous experience working with a Division 1, Power 5 Men’s Basketball program.
- Knowledge of current NCAA Compliance rules and regulations regarding recruitment of prospective student-athletes.