Description of Position: The Director of Business Operations for Men’s Basketball will provide administrative support for all Men’s Basketball program activities. The incumbent will assist with planning, scheduling, recruiting, student managers, budgeting, and coordinating travel among other responsibilities. This position will assist the Director of Operations for Men’s Basketball and the coaching staff with other projects as assigned. This is a contract position.
- Manages business needs for sport team: Submits, tracks, and follows up on purchase requests. Manages travel expense report process for coaches and follows up with Accounts Payable on status of reimbursements. Responsible for day to day oversight of sport operations budget. Reviews monthly expenditure reports and works with budget analyst to identify and resolve areas of concern.
- Direct, manage, and oversee operations for the Men’s Basketball program. Serve as a “go-to” and liaison between the coaches and outside vendors, campus staff, department staff, and in some cases donors/alumni.
- General office management, including coordinates all incoming phone calls and mail for office, purchasing office supplies, scheduling all staff meetings (including academic meetings), and assists with scheduling gym time for practices.
- Meets with Travel Coordinator to arrange travel for the season, which includes flight, hotel, ground transportation, meals, and prepares travel itineraries.
- Coordinates coaches’ travel for all recruiting trips and works with Travel staff to ensure all arrangements are booked. Also coordinates all travel arrangements (flights, transportation, hotel, restaurants, etc.) for official visits for recruiting trips.
- Manages compliance requirements for coaching staff, such as CARA logs, time management plans, team calendar, financial aid processing, and admissions requests.
- Organizes all team meals, including team breakfast and training table, with Sports Nutritionist and Business Office.
- Serves as liaison between coaching staff and equipment room to coordinate ordering of practice equipment and gear/clothing for team. Also works with Facilities and Events Management staff to ensure all practice and game equipment are properly stored and maintained.
- Bachelor’s degree is required and equivalent training/experience.
- Problem-solving skills and effective listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task and to work with frequent interruptions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of the sport of basketball.
- Understanding of NCAA compliance rules as they relate to Men’s Basketball.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
- Previous experience working in sports operations.
- Demonstration of high levels of energy, creativity, and initiative.
For more information on our department, please visit www.calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
It is mandatory that you apply for this position on the Berkeley Jobs Website by visiting http://jobs.berkeley.edu, indicating job #17091. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.