Location: Spokane, Washington
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Salary: $61,568 – $65,190
Coaching – Basketball
Internal Number: 184586
POSITION TITLE: Head Coach, Women’s Basketball
REPORTS TO: Director of Athletics
SALARY GRADE/RANGE: 13/$61,568-$65,190
FLSA DESIGNATION: Salaried; Exempt
Working 12-months, full-time. The women’s basketball head coach is responsible for all phases of running a competitive and life impacting women’s basketball program. Responsibilities include; recruiting, practice planning, game facilitation, fundraising, staff supervision, budgeting, and other administrative responsibilities necessary for a competitively successful and life impacting basketball program. Additionally, the coach will be expected to contribute to student mentoring, staff retreats, and university committees. The coach will work cooperatively across the Whitworth community to advance the mission of the University.
- Head Coaching Responsibilities
- Plan, organize and execute a dynamic training program to develop and prepare players to maximize their potential and pursue excellence in athletic achievement.
- Successfully facilitate all aspects of coaching a team in competition.
- Foster the academic achievement and physical well-being of student-athletes.
- Mentor and develop students both on and off the field.
- Develop and implement a plan for the recruitment of qualified student-athletes.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches.
- Plan and manage team scheduling and travel arrangements.
- Remain knowledgeable of and adhere to NCAA regulations.
- Represent Whitworth at in the Northwest Conference and the NCAA
- Perform other duties commensurate with responsibilities of a college head coach
- Budget Management
- Manage and maintain team budgets in line with University policies.
- Order and maintain equipment for the women’s basketball team.
- Plan and administer fundraising efforts on behalf of the women’s basketball program.
- Other possible opportunities.
- Depending on the knowledge, skills, interests, and experience brought to this position by the candidate, additional responsibilities will be assigned that may include teaching courses and/or other administrative duties. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to contribute to student mentoring, staff retreats, and university committees.
job knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student athlete.
- Proven record of accomplishment in leading a highly successful basketball team.
- Extensive knowledge of the sport of basketball.
- Understanding of NCAA compliance rules.
- Ability to recruit and retain quality basketball student athletes.
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in team atmosphere in the Athletics Department.
- Strong commitment to the University and the NCAA Division III philosophy.
Education: Master’s degree; bachelor’s degree and exceptional coaching experience may be considered in lieu of advanced degree.
Experience: One to three years demonstrated successful coaching experience. College or University level experience preferred.
Licenses or Certifications: Valid driver’s license
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith
- Demonstrated cultural competence, proven awareness of and experience to effectively establishing relationships and positive communications across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, faculty, alumni, fans, parents, and students.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a Christian liberal arts university. Must meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States by the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue to work legally for the proposed term of employment. (Including OPT)
- Compliance with Whitworth’s campus vehicle policy. This policy is available at whitworth.edu/Administration/FacilitiesServices/CampusVehiclePolicy.html
Organizational responsibilities of the position
This position provides leadership and managerial oversight to assistant coaches and graduate assistants.
Additional Requirements: A background check and sexual misconduct check will be required on the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and name, addresses, and phone numbers of a least three (3) professional references will also be required. All Whitworth University employees are required to comply with the university’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Founded in 1890, Whitworth has consistently ranked among the top regional colleges and universities in the West. Whitworth University has an enrollment of nearly 3,000 students and offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. With strong liberal arts undergraduate and graduate programs, Whitworth unites a robust commitment to Christian mission and service, academic rigor and care for students.
Whitworth University’s 200-acre campus of red-brick buildings and tall pines offers a beautiful, inviting and secure learning environment. More than $140 million in campus improvements have been made in recent years. A community of committed Christian faculty and staff employees carries out the university’s mission “to provide its diverse student body an education of the mind and heart,” equipping its graduates “to honor God, follow Christ and serve humanity.”
Whitworth University provides a robust offering of benefits and services to enhance the quality of life of its faculty and staff. Employees who are eligible for benefits may participate in health plans including medical, dental and vision; a generous retirement plan (8% employer match); life insurance and long-term disability insurance. Well-being services include spiritual enrichment, the employee assistance program, and free access to the University Recreation Center and the Megan E. Thompson Aquatic Center. Free tuition for employees and tuition remission programs for spouses and dependents round out the offerings. Additionally, Whitworth employees enjoy 17 paid holidays each year.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Apply online at www.whitworth.edu/jobs