Job Summary Plans and directs the activities of athletic team; directs conditioning of student athletes to achieve maximum athletic performance; assess players’ skills and assigns team positions; evaluates own and opposition team capabilities to determine game strategy; coaches or directs coaches to instruct players in techniques of game; directs recruitment and retention of student athletes. Has an extensive knowledge of the sport and knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
Responsibilities 1. Plans and directs the activities of athletic team
2. Responsible for the direction and development of a nationally competitive athletic program at Kennesaw State University
3. Performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to, the following: recruitment, coaching, budget management, purchasing equipment and uniforms, scheduling of games and practices, public relations and fundraising
4. Responsible for the academic achievement, retention and graduation of each student-athlete on the roster
5. Assumes a leadership role in department-wide priorities and initiatives
6. Supervises a coaching staff consisting of assistant coaches and graduate assistant(s), as allowed by the NCAA and KSU budget
7. Organizes, supervises, coordinates, and employs sound coaching techniques and practices
8. Participates in university and Department of Athletics events as required.
9. Has a thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance with all NCAA, Atlantic Sun Conference, State of Georgia and university policies, rules and regulations
10. Prepares student-athletes physically, mentally, and emotionally to compete for Conference Championships and post-season competition.
11. Creates an atmosphere favorable to the ethical, academic and athletic development of student-athletes.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities • Extensive knowledge of the sport coaching
• Knowledge of NCAA rules/regulations.
• Demonstrated ability and success with an intercollegiate athletic program
• Evidence of successful recruitment of student-athletes
• Ability to organize and motivate student-athletes to achieve maximum performance level in sports, as well as in academics.
• Ability to serve as a spokesperson for the intercollegiate athletic program
• Maintains an effective professional working relationship with student-athletes, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni and the public
• Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
• Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
• Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
• Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette