Location: Naperville , Illinois
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Coaching – Basketball
North Central College offers an excellent Benefits Package, including Medical, Voluntary Dental and Vision, Health Spending, Retirement Plan, Tuition Remission and much more.
Internal Number: S000631
The primary purpose of the Head Basketball Coach is to play an integral role in the effective operation of the men’s basketball program, develop young men in the North Central College basketball philosophy, to direct aspects of the overall basketball program strategy including development and retaining student-athletes. The head basketball coach will also work with the Director and Assistant/Associate Directors of Athletics helping further develop, implement, and evaluate components of departmental athletic events and leadership programs.
1. Develop, recruit, and administer a highly competitive men’s basketball program, consistent with the student-athlete philosophy of Division III, which generates College and community enthusiasm and support. Lead all administrative and coaching activities within the programs.
2. Develop practice and game preparations, in conjunction with the coaching staff, by writing event-specific practice workouts, analyze film, designing strategies, communicating with the student-athletes in the specialty area and writing feedback reports.
3. Develop and implement an on-going professional development plan as it relates to basketball in general, wellness, nutrition, and overall strength and conditioning.
4. Establish a strong team culture by mentoring individuals and team dynamics, team rules and conduct, leadership development, and a commitment to the safety and well-being of each person.
5. Coach a particular group(s), organize standard practices, and develop individual athletes.
6. Participate in any promotional activities for the basketball program including the Faculty Mentor Program, Parent’s Day activities, Alumni Day activities, Senior Day activities, fund-raisers during the academic year, summer camps, and other marketing and promotional activities.
1. Specific knowledge of basketball coaching theories and techniques.
2. Skill in communicating with college student-athletes, their parents and other coaching professionals. Ability to effectively recruit qualified student-athletes. Ability to effectively counsel and advise prospective students and their parents regarding numerous aspects of the College. Ability to exercise the proper balance of persistence and patience as individually appropriate to each contact.
3. Strong commitment to a small college environment. Extensive knowledge of the organization and operation of the College, both administratively and academically, especially regarding admission-related activities. Up-to-date knowledge of developments in higher education in general and at schools with which North Central College traditionally competes for new students.
4. Ability to develop successful programs which engage student-athletes and coaches in developing student-athlete leaders.
5. Ability to deal with several tasks and work with a large number of individuals concurrently, often without direct supervision. This requires a person who is well organized, detail oriented, flexible and able to effectively prioritize tasks.
6. Ability to communicate in the English language, both orally and in writing, in a manner consistent with professional standards, including direction of and participation in the development of high quality publications which reflect positively on North Central College.
7. Ability to consistently demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills in dealing with persons both internal and external to the College.
8. Ability to work as an effective member of a team. Commitment to an environment that nurtures inclusion, cooperation, teamwork, and diversity.