Location: Groton, Connecticut
Coaching – Basketball
Status: Part-Time, Special Payroll
Reports to: Athletic Director
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
The University of Connecticut Avery Point is seeking applications for the part-time position of head men’s basketball coach. Working under the general direction and administrative guidance of the Athletic Director, the head men’s basketball coach will be involved with oversight for all facets of the program, which is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association and Region XXI.
– Provides leadership for all aspects of National Junior College Athletic Association program which competes as a member of Region XXI.
– Models and encourages leadership, sportsmanship, teamwork and positive citizenship.
– Serves as supervisor for assistant coaches and team managers within the program.
– Identifies, evaluates and recruits academically prepared prospective student-athletes in accordance with university policy and NJCAA eligibility guidelines.
– Provides academic oversight of student-athletes to ensure retention in coordination with campus support services and Athletic Director.
– Develops practice and game plans to best position individual student-athlete and team success.
– In conjunction with Athletic Director, coordinates team schedule (traditional and non-traditional seasons), team travel and transportation.
– Maintains open and fluid lines of communication with all key members of the campus community, including but not limited to admissions, academic support, bursar, etc.
– Displays fiduciary responsibility and integrity pertaining to both university operating budget and team Foundation accounts.
– Assists in verifying student-athlete eligibility prior to competition.
– Serves as the responsible party for student-athlete, coach and support staff safety and conduct during all team athletic practices, games, events and activities; notifies the Athletic Director of any issues.
– Supports marketing and public relations efforts by reporting contest results in a timely manner to the Athletic Director and the NJCAA.
– Completes appropriate evaluation forms for game officials.
– Assists with the oversight and maintenance and inventory of sports equipment and supplies.
– Participates in community, campus and department initiatives, including Open House, Admitted Students Day, Awards Dinner, Department Golf Tournament, Hall of Fame event, etc.
– Communicates with alumni and friends of the program via printed materials, emails, phone calls, text messages and/or social media.
– Participates in individual and department meetings and professional development as designated by the Athletic Director.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
– Earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
– Commitment in following the letter and spirit of NJCAA, Region XXI and University rules and regulations.
– Previous collegiate playing and/or coaching experience.
– Current driver’s license and good driving record.
– Ability to travel.
– Ability to work evenings, weekends and some holidays.
– Current CPR and First Aid certification is preferred.
– These qualifications may be waived for individuals with appropriate alternate experience.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and list of at least three (3) professional references to:
UConn Avery Point
1084 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT 06340
Materials can also be sent via email to [email protected]