Location: Monmouth, Maine
Salary: 3500-4500 per season
Coaching – Basketball
This is a seasonal position, and after first summer, salary is negotiable.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Basics: Camp Cobbossee for Boys is looking for a Head of Basketball for our large sports program. Cobbossee has been in constant operation since 1902. It is the second-oldest summer camp in the nation, and has built a reputation on excellent coaching and sports programming, as well as the traditions and activities that make camp such an unusual and transformative experience. The Head of Basketball has responsibility for all aspects of our daily basketball developmental program, as well as administrative responsibility for our intramural basketball program and our matches with other camps and sports programs in the area.
DATES: The Head of Basketball position begins June 8, 2022 and runs through August 14, 2022
Compensation: This position blends perfectly with an existing appointment as an assistant collegiate or head high school coach position, as our dates run June 8th to August 14th, 2022. Room and board, as well as travel allowance is provided as part of the position. Also included is a salary commensurate with experience. Salary runs from 3,500-4,500 depending on background and experience. If you have children, especially sons, we can offer them camp scholarships as well.
The Details: -Seasonal position in Monmouth, ME June -Room and board provided, as well as travel allowance. (Our food is amazing, especially for a summer camp) -Be in charge of all aspects of the basketball program at a boys’ sports camp. -Supervise a small staff of 3-4 college aged counselor/coaches. -Organize, plan, and lead 5 developmental sessions a day for boys ages 7-16. -Organize team structure, coaching, and officiating for intramural games as well as matches against other camps. -Champion the Cobbossee values of Brotherhood, Sportsmanship, and Community. -Function as an integral member of senior leadership team. This means big picture organizing as well as leadership and participation in special events, daily scheduling meetings, and most importantly flexibility and creativity within the camp environment.
The Bottom Line: Though certainly a basketball position, this Head of Basketball appointment is something more. You would be an integral member of a vibrant social community with ethics (Brotherhood, Community, Sportsmanship) at its core. Your coaching and leadership skills will build basketball players, but also develop young people and your assistant coaches. You will certainly coach many matches. If you are the right hire, you will also find yourself joining counselor hunts, campfires, and diverse conversations at each of our common meals. We are looking someone who wants to join a community.
– You love working with young people. This is crucial. You will work with athletes 7-16, and your staff: 19-22.
– Demonstrated experience coaching, preferably with kids ages 15 and younger
– Demonstrated ability to run an engaging, instructional, and fun program for boys of all ability levels, ages 7-16
– Ability to organize and lead a staff of 3-4 college aged assistant coaches, including providing constructive verbal/written feedback throughout the summer, and delegating when appropriate
– Ability to function well in an inclusive, mutually-supportive non-discriminatory community. Camp Cobbossee does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in any of its activities or operations. We expect our employees to follow suit.
– Prior summer camp experience
– Experience coaching strong teenage players (some of our athletes are serious high school players)
– Experience supervising a coaching staff of college-aged athletes.