Houghton College, an academically rigorous Christian College of the liberal arts and sciences, which competes in the highly respected Empire 8 Conference of the NCAA D-III, is seeking applicants for the position of Head Women’s Basketball Coach. Houghton College has a strong tradition of student athletes excelling in the classroom as well as on the court. The Head Coach will provide leadership and instruction in a Christ-centered program that will challenge, encourage, and equip each student-athlete to not only compete at the highest level, but to also understand the bigger purpose behind the sport. Our goal is to grow leaders who are servant-oriented, driven to pursue excellence for the Glory of God in order to compete with excellence, lead by character, and exemplify Jesus Christ in our world. This is a full-time position with additional responsibilities to be determined based on the successful candidate’s qualifications.
– Provide leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of each player.
– Direct and coordinate the activities of the coaching staff to include the planning, organizing and coaching of the team; ensure compliance with the College, Empire 8 Conference and NCAA policies and regulations.
– Direct the coaching staff in the preparation of analyses of opponent teams; analyze game statistics and tactical data of opponents and prepare game strategies appropriately.
– Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with College administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required.
– Develop, execute and monitor ongoing strategies for recruiting future student athletes.
– Coordinate all recruiting efforts with the coaching staff.
– Provide opportunities for spiritual growth and formation, including such activities as team devotions, individual discipleship and mentoring, and planning of mission trips domestically and abroad.
– Determine fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditures of budgeted funds.
– Study, evaluate and implement innovations in sport-specific strategy and equipment.
– Represent the Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity and alumni events.
– Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Organize, plan, and direct a summer sport camp on the campus of the College.
Individuals ideally suited for this position will exhibit the following behaviors and competencies:
– Pace: The pace of the job changes depending on the time of year. Must be able to balance multiple tasks at one time and delegate work to assistant coaches.
– Communication: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with student athletes, administrators, supervisors and other constituents.
– Collaboration: Ability to solve problems and able to listen and collaborate with other staff members.
– Commitment: Dedicated to your relationship with Christ which drives our mission, and committed to the Athletic Department in words, attitudes and conduct.
– Instruction: Ability to teach technical and mental aspects of sport in ways that student athletes can understand and adopt.
– Flexible: Open to change and ability to adjust and work in a changing environment.
– Inclusive: Unbiased treatment and recognition of each student athlete as a unique individual.
– Inspire: Know the mission of the program, believe in it and influence athletes to buy in.
– Competitive: Ability to practice and teach healthy competition by utilizing the desire for success as a momentum to propel the team toward goals.
The full job description can be found here: https://www.houghton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Head-Womens-Basketball-Coach.pdf