Olivet College was founded in 1844 on the principle that the future of humanity rests in the hands, hearts and minds of those who will take responsibility for themselves and others in an increasingly diverse society. Open since its founding to all regardless of race, gender or ability to pay, Olivet is one of the most diverse private liberal arts institutions in the state and actively seeks diversity in its students and employees.
The student body is composed of a strong mixture of first-generation, urban, rural and students from all socioeconomic backgrounds, with 50 percent qualifying annually for Federal Pell Grants. Olivet College faculty and staff are committed to providing personalized, individualized attention for students who seek academic and personal success. Olivet College competes in Division III of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association, the oldest athletic conference in the nation.
Position Summary The successful candidate will possess the ability to recruit, develop, coach and manage a collegiate women’s basketball program within the standards of Olivet College, the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Details follow this posting.
Qualifications The ideal candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree and adequate knowledge about the fundamentals and techniques of basketball obtained through previously coaching at the high school and/or college level. Must be able to be cleared to drive college vehicles. Along with the educational and sport experience, serious consideration will be given to the candidate whose characteristics coincide with the following principals: maintains and promotes the academic pursuits of Olivet College student-athletes; complies with and reinforces the Comet Athletic Program’s rules and mission; acts professionally and communicates appropriately with the College’s students, coaches, administration, staff, alumni and spectators; possesses a willingness to develop professionally.
Compensation Competitive annual salary and comprehensive benefits package, including tuition remission programs.
Application Process Click on the “Apply on Employers Site” link, select this position and then click on the “Apply” button. From here, follow the instructions for completing the profile, application and uploading your cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references.
Olivet College is an equal opportunity employer and takes affirmative steps to employ women and individuals from historically underrepresented minority groups.
- Directs the operations of the Olivet College Women’s Basketball program within the standards of Olivet College, the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- Educates/coaches student-athletes in the sport of basketball.
- Recruits prospective student-athletes according to the enrollment goals and admissions standards of Olivet College and the eligibility requirements of the MIAA and NCAA.
- Selects team members.
- Schedules and coordinates competition schedules, team travel accommodations, team tryouts, practices, meetings, individual workouts and conditioning sessions.
- Coordinates the issuance, care, inventory and collection of equipment, uniforms and supplies for women’s basketball. Submits appropriate equipment inventory forms to the Athletic Director within the requested times.
- Manages sport’s budget and coordinates team fund raising activities.
- Purchases and manages team equipment and supplies.
- Coordinates facility usage for the women’s basketball program.
- Assists with supervision, management, set-up and clean up at home junior varsity women’s basketball events.
- Submits complete team roster and inventory forms to the Athletic Director.
- Ensures the proper completion of physical examinations and all forms relating to the examinations and emergency medical authorization before a student participates.
- Manages duties and responsibilities of assistant coaches with the approval of the Athletic Director, as needed.
- Coordinates and leads at least one team community service project during each academic year.
- Supervises student-athletes at all times including practices, meetings, workouts, travel and other team functions.
- Attends all athletic department meetings and appropriate college functions (pep rallies, homecoming, Hall of Fame inductions, etc.).
- Exhibits appropriate conduct with students, coaches, administration, staff, alumni, spectators, officials and opponents at all times.
- Collects and submits appropriate student-athlete eligibility forms.
- Provides leadership that promotes positive attitudes and good sportsmanship.
- Notifies all members of the team of all Comet Athletic Program’s policies, procedures and training rules as they pertain to the team.
- Maintains current certifications in CPR and First Aid to be held on file in the Office of Athletics.
- Submits driving record verification for clearance to drive institutional vehicles.
- Works within the missions and philosophies of the Comet Athletic Program and Olivet College.
- Exhibits personal conduct that promotes attitudes and behaviors among student-athletes that coincide with the policies outlined in the Comet Athletic Handbook.
- Makes decisions that positively affect the Comet Athletic Program.
- Maintains proper perspective regarding the priorities of academics and athletics at Olivet College.