Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Southern Oregon University
Position Number: A00410
Rate: $64,230 – $73,828 @ 1.0 FTE (This position will be subject to a 20% furlough)
The purpose of the position of Head Women’s Basketball Coach is to maintain and enhance the program’s success as a conference, regional, and national contender and carry that success into the classroom and beyond. Furthermore, the purpose of the position of Head Women’s Basketball Coach is to organize and facilitate all aspects of the program in a professional manner that will translate into a successful and fulfilling experience for all student-athletes who are associated with the program. This position is a 12-month full-time position reporting directly to the Director of Athletics. The Head Women’s Basketball Coach responsibilities include directing all aspects of a competitive NAIA basketball program including compliance with NAIA, Conference, and University rules and regulations; recruitment of qualified, gifted student-athletes; contest scheduling; budget management; fundraising; and retention of student-athletes.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of four (4) years college coaching experience
• Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively with coaching staff and student-athletes
• Master’s Degree
• Previous experience as a head college basketball coach
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism to effectively handle a broad range of sensitive interpersonal situations.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and consistently apply a wide variety of complex policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not always exist.
• Demonstrated ability to proactively assess work operations and anticipate potential problems; ability to develop and implement strategies for preventing/resolving problems.
• Great ability to effectively perform work of a highly sensitive and confidential nature that requires access to information. Must be able to exercise sound judgment and discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
• Takes initiative in independently planning, organizing, and performing work assignments within broadly defined parameters.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of productivity and accuracy/attention to detail.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with the demonstrated ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
• Working knowledge or able to quickly learn, university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to provide training and direction to student assistants.
•Ability to adherence to the NAIA, Cascade and Frontier Conference, and Southern Oregon University rules and regulations pertaining to recruiting, eligibility and general operation of the team
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references. If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources.
For inquiries and additional information, please contact: Human Resource Services via email at [email protected] or by phone at (541)552-8553.
•Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
•Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
•Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
•Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA):
-Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
•The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR)can be accessed at the following link:
https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call 541-552-6258, or email [email protected]
All applicants must apply online at https://jobs.sou.edu/postings/8812.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.