Wesleyan College (Macon, GA) Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Wesleyan College, a four-year national liberal arts college for women, is a leader and innovator in women’s education. The first college in the world chartered to grant degrees to women, Wesleyan’s academically challenging, inclusive environment helps prepare women to live purposeful and connected lives.
Wesleyan College is seeking applications for the position of Head Women’s Basketball Coach. Under the supervision of Athletic Director, the Head Women’s Basketball Coach will provide support and assistance with all aspects of the intercollegiate women’s basketball program.
The Head Women’s Basketball Coach will work to provide optimal playing conditions for Wesleyan College’s women’s basketball student-athletes which will include activities such as supervision of the basketball gym, locker rooms, office spaces, and the maintenance and security of all basketball related equipment and supplies.
The Head Women’s Basketball Coach will provide information and evaluations regarding recruits, roster development, budget reports, game personnel and staff. The Head Coach is to provide strategic leadership in support of the program’s goals in alignment with the College’s mission, vision and strategic plan; to abide by the rules and regulations established by Wesleyan College and the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). The Head Coach will supervise and mentor the assistant; develop and manage operating budgets for the program; and participate in appropriate fund-raising activities.
Job Duties (but not limited to): • Ensures that the Women’s Basketball program supports the mission and vision of Wesleyan College;
• Ensures the development of a quality, competitive basketball team and the educational goals and academic success of student-athletes through strategic management of the personnel, budgetary, facility, and equipment resources available to the Women’s Basketball program; development of policies and procedures designed to assure achievement of goals and objectives; and continuous evaluation of individual and unit performance to achieve them;
• Ensures compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and athletic conference rules and regulations, particularly those regarding financial aid and student eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics; provides leadership in the recruitment effort for the Women’s Basketball program and provides guidance and/or policies to staff regarding these rules and regulations;
• Supports the personal development and academic goals of student-athletes by establishing a philosophy and environment conducive to both, maintaining accessibility for student-athletes whether for athletic or academic matters, providing opportunities for academic assistance to student-athletes if required, and monitoring the academic progress of participating student-athletes;
• Advises the Athletic Director on issues relating to the Women’s Basketball program, its trends, problems and other pertinent matters by making reports, recommendations, presentations and findings, and preparing other correspondence as required or directed;
• Manages the Women’s Basketball budget by planning and developing an annual budget for the program which includes equipment purchases, officiating cost, or any other related resource needs;
• Develops and maintains a system to identify potential recruits and to work closely with area high school coaches, two-year college coaches and parents to recruit quality student-athletes to Wesleyan College;
• Understands the importance of adding to Wesleyan College’s enrollment on an annual basis;
• Works to encourage the development of psychological, social, and mental skills necessary for the student-athletes to be successful in the classroom, on the field, and in future endeavors;
• Works with Admissions to expedite the registration, admission, and other administrative processing of all student-athletes;
• Develops practice plans, position assignments, game strategies, individual workouts and strength and conditioning needs for various student-athletes;
• Serves as a role model for student-athletes by exhibiting ethical and professional conduct at all times;
• Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees;
• Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur;
• Hosts a minimum of one Basketball camp at Wesleyan College annually
• Assists with the oversight of work study students by providing them with responsibilities and maintaining/logging hours;
• Contributes to the overall success of the intercollegiate athletics program by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Athletics Director;
• Assists with Event Management and other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands/Work Environment Position involves both sedentary work and work on the basketball court in coaching and training situations with student-athletes
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree along with coaching experience at the high school or collegiate level are required. Experience competing at the collegiate level is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Ability to evaluate physical performance related to an inter-collegiate basketball program
Ability to effectively communicate both within and outside the College including, but not limited to, student-athletes, parents, recruits, coaches, civic and business leaders
Ability to work as a support individual within a group setting
Ability to provide effective leadership to student-athletes to encourage both successful academic development and competitive performance
Ability to work a flexible schedule (i.e., evenings, weekends) Current training in First-Aid and CPR preferred
Salary: $38,000 with full benefits and discounted on campus housing if preferred
Wesleyan College is a certified drug-free workplace employer. All applicants being considered for employment are required to submit to substance screening as a condition of employment. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States, and individuals will be required to provide proof of identity and eligibility for employment in the United States upon acceptance of an employment offer. In addition, employment is contingent upon successfully passing a criminal background check.
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references with titles, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. Applications and nominations should be electronically submitted to Penny Siqueiros, Athletic Director, at [email protected]
Wesleyan College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College supports equal employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, gender, national origin, status as a war veteran, age, disability, or any other status protected by law. Wesleyan College invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.