Department: Athletics Recruitment #: S1521 Closing Date: Review begins immediately. Position is open until filled. This is a full-time, 12-month, annually renewable, unclassified position in the Athletic Department at Western Oregon University (WOU) in Monmouth. WOU is a NCAA Division II member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference competing in 13 team sports: Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Track and Field, Cross Country, and Softball and Men’s Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track and Field, and Cross Country. WOU is one of two Division II NCAA programs in the State of Oregon.
ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The employee, as a member of the Intercollegiate Athletic Department, agrees to represent the University in an honorable and ethical manner at all times, to the best of her/his abilities. Standards for ethical conduct for Athletic Department staff are established and enforced by the Athletic Director, the University, the State of Oregon, the State Board of Higher Education, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, and the NCAA.
KEY CULTURAL COMPETENCIES: 1. Create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrated differences 2. Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds 3. Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting with a willingness to change for continual improvement 4. Adhere to all of WOU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: • This position will assist the head basketball coach by coordinating recruiting efforts, overseeing and implementing the program’s academic success system, and acting as the lead scout for game preparation. • Other duties include but are not limited to: player development, budget tracking, facility coordination, and management of student-assistants. • This position is designed to be the second-in-charge to the head coach and will oversee all operations when the head coach is away.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Two or more years of collegiate basketball coaching experience OR
One of the following:
o Four years of high school basketball coaching experience
o Four years of collegiate basketball playing experience
• Demonstrated commitment to providing a championship experience for student-athletes on and off the field.
• Possess a working knowledge of NCAA Division II by-laws and proven leadership in the successful fulfillment of sport responsibilities which include: basketball coaching skills, fiscal management, fund-raising, recruiting, administrative, organizational, strong interpersonal and communication skills, public relations experience, and knowledge of field maintenance/preparation.
• Ability to work as a team member, be self-directed, and be willing to serve as good-will ambassador for Western Oregon University
• Master’s degree
• Three years NCAA Division I or II collegiate coaching experience
TO APPLY SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
1) WOU Employment Application form (available at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp)
2) Letter of application
4) Contact information for three references
5) Unofficial copy of transcript for highest degree earned
Send to: S1521, Assistant Coach – Men’s Basketball, Human Resources, Western Oregon University, 345 N. Monmouth Avenue, Monmouth, OR 97361; OR e-mail to [email protected]; OR fax to: 503-838-8144.