|Job Summary:||Assist the head coach in all phases of the program, complying with university, conference and NCAA rules and regulations. Supervise and manage the day to day operations of the athletic team, including teaching, coaching, and fund-raising activities; provide leadership and support for the vision and strategies of the head coach. Contribute to the overall Athletics & Physical Education Department through additional duties and/or teaching responsibilities.
Lewis & Clark College will conduct background checks on the finalist(s). Lewis & Clark College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex or age. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator or OCR.
|Minimum Qualifications:||A bachelor’s degree, and past playing and/or coaching experience are required, preferably at the collegiate level. The successful candidate will possess a sound commitment to the academic and athletic mission of the College, along with the ability to teach, motivate, evaluate and recruit high caliber well-qualified student-athletes.|
|Preferred Qualifications:||Master’s degree in related field preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with coaching and recruiting experience at the intercollegiate level.|
|Anticipated Position Start Date:||06/01/2015|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Months Worked Per Year:||12|
|Special Instructions to Applicants:||Position open until filled. Please apply by May 15th for full consideration.|
|Essential Functions:||Coaching: Assist with planning and executing all team practice sessions and competition. Scout future opponents by film, watching games, and/or telephone reports. Retrieve video tapes of future opponents. Prepare and present scouting reports on future opponents. Provide consultation and expert advice to head coach and team members. Prepare, plan, conduct, and evaluate practice sessions, as directed.
Teaching: Teach individuals and groups of player specific tasks and skills before, during and after practice, during season and off-season. Teach player-to-player defense and offense, as requested. Teach progressions and drills during daily practice time. Teach advanced level skills and game strategies.
Recruiting: Assist in the recruitment of quality student-athletes who fit the academic profile of the student body. Attend off-campus games for the purpose of evaluation and contact. Coordinate mailing of recruitment materials to prospective student-athletes and make phone contact with prospective student-athletes when appropriate. Plan campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
2. Serve as mentor to athletes, helping resolve academic and non-academic issues. Monitor and counsel student-athletes regarding academic progress, etc.
3. Plan long and short term team objectives under the leadership of the head coach.
4. Interact with various campus offices, departments, as well as individual faculty and staff members.
5. Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community.
6. Serve in a leadership role and promote participation in community service activities by student athletes.
7. Assist in the formulation of team and department fundraising activities, promotional and team newsletter initiatives.
8. Represent the team with the public, parents and alumni; act as a positive role model for players
9. Supervise and mentor student assistants and managers associated with the program.
10. Other related duties as assigned by the head coach or director of athletics.