Women’s Basketball Coach PE / Health Professor
Opening Date: January 30, 2015
Closing Date: March 20, 2015
Full–time, Tenured Track Position
Beginning August 14, 2015
Description of Position
College of the Sequoias is seeking a candidate to fill a full–time, tenure track position in the Health/Physical Education/Athletic Division beginning August 2015. Duties include:
• Teaching Health classes, P.E. activity classes, and Kinesiology.
• Coaching basketball with the duties of recruiting, practice planning, monitoring off-season weight and conditioning programs, participating in the planning and running of fund raising activities, and scouting opposing teams. Taking an active role in the women’s basketball teams academic success.
Teaching assignment may be at either the main campus and/ or at off-campus centers in nearby communities. Assignment may include evening classes, weekend classes and/or precollegiate classes.
Other responsibilities include participation in the governance of the college by way of committee assignments is encouraged. Other responsibilities include maintenance of a required number of office hours to meet student needs, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality which is respectful of diversity throughout our college.
The candidate must meet one of the following criteria. The degree must be from an accredited institution.
• Master’s in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise, or adaptive physical education or
• Bachelor’s in any of the above and Master’s in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration or physical therapy or
• Possess a valid California teaching credential authorizing service in a community college in the appropriate subject matter area, or
• The equivalent
• Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Candidates claiming equivalency must demonstrate a combination of education and other accomplishments that are equivalent to the MQ’s. If claiming equivalency, you
will need to read the Board Policy 5001 on equivalency and prepare a statement documenting how you feel you meet the equivalent qualifications.
Note: Candidates claiming equivalency must receive a judgment of equivalency from the COS Equivalency Committee prior to the interview.
The Physical Education Division and Athletic Department is looking for evidence of the following:
• Teaching experience (preferably at the college level) in Health, Physical Education and Kinesiology courses.
• Commitment to professional growth and development and to continued innovation and improvement of teaching.
• Evidence of successful basketball coaching experience, preferably at the college level.
• Ability to participate in the monitoring of academic strength and condition program.
• Demonstrated interest and ability in fund raising, recruitment, practice and event organization and budget management.
• Experience in and/or commitment to working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic and disability backgrounds.
• Awareness of the philosophy and objectives of California Community Colleges.
• Ability to participate in a collaborative relationship with students and faculty.
• Ability to make a positive contribution to the instructional program at College of the Sequoias by developing instructional activities, course syllabi, course outlines and other necessary material.
• Ability to incorporate student learning outcome objectives within course and programs and willingness to develop and use stated objectives and measures.
• Experience with or interest in alternative instructional modes, such as web-based or on-line instruction, multi-media systems, cooperative learning, or integrated curricula.
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Initial placement with Master’s degree ranges from $54,663 to $72,069.
• Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee and dependents and $100,000 employee life insurance is provided.
• Retirement Plan provided.
• Contract period is for ten (10) months during the regular academic year beginning August 2015 through May 2016.
• Pre-service orientation and/or inservice meetings will be offered in August 2015.
• A collective bargaining agreement exists, and membership in the College of the Sequoias Teachers Association (COSTA) or payment of a service fee is required.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by the screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Application materials will be evaluated to determine how fully the applicant meets the Desirable Qualifications. This evaluation process will determine which applicants will be invited for an interview including a teaching demonstration. The most successful interviewees will be invited to a second interview with the College Superintendent/President.
All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
March 20, 2015 / 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS academic/administrative application form
• Diversity Statement (included in the application packet)
• Letter of Interest which addresses five of the desirable qualifications and presents your philosophy on athletics and teaching.
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume
• Unofficial copies of transcripts of all college/university work (If transcripts are not in English, include a summary of courses and grades). Official transcripts required upon employment.
• Equivalency document (if necessary)
• At least two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
Human Resource Services
College of the Sequoias CCD
915 S. Mooney Blvd.
Sequoia Building, Room 5
Visalia, CA 93277
Notice to all candidates for employment
“College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law.”
“College of the Sequoias Community College District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation.