Department: M&W Intercollegiate
Position Number: 1010692
Position Purpose: Oversees all administrative functions of the Men’s Basketball Office. Manages the flow and exchange of information, streamlines interactions with important constituents, and drives key initiatives on behalf of the head men’s basketball coach. Assumes a wide variety of administrative responsibilities that require independent judgment and decision making with respect to College and Athletic Department guidelines.
Skills & Knowledge:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents, including students, parents, faculty, staff. alumni, and other important program supporters.
• Ability to exercise judgment, confidentiality and discretion in sensitive situations.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, complex environment, and to respond quickly to changes in the workplace.
• Strong computer skills.
• Evening and weekend hours required in addition to regular weekday schedule, including travel for away games and presence at home games
• Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
• 4 years relevant experience.
• Experience in intercollegiate athletics, preferably coaching and/or playing Division I men’s basketball.
Minimum Education: Bachelors Degree
SEIU Level: Not an SEIU Position
Employment Category: Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter: David McLaughlin, Head Coach of Men’s Basketball
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
• Works under the general direction of the Head Coach, but also works directly to support the assistant basketball coaches.
• Serves as the primary contact in the men’s basketball office for athletic department and College staff as well as alumni, prospective student-athletes and their families, media representatives, parents of athletes, and other constituents.
• Screens inquiries to head coach and strives to reduce unnecessary demands on his time and attention.
• Drafts written responses for head coach or responds directly to written and verbal inquiries as appropriate.
• Coordinates travel arrangements for all coaches.
• Represents head coach at selected meetings and functions.
• Hires and directs team manager(s)
• Assists in the identification of potential opponents.
• Completes all job responsibilities in compliance with the policies, rules, and regulations of Dartmouth College, the NCAA, and the Ivy League
• Develops and maintains a comprehensive electronic recruiting database of all prospects.
• Serves as primary contact with the software company that supports the database.
• Creates and distributes progressive recruiting correspondence.
• Coordinates travel plans, schedules, and documentation for unofficial and official visits.
• Organizes and participates in visits to campus by prospects..
• Serves as liaison with the Deputy Director of Athletics regarding admissions information.
• Serves as the primary men’s basketball contact person for the Friends of Dartmouth Basketball and its Advisory Board.
• Assists the head coach in maintaining relationships with key supporters and Friends.
• Coordinates all Friends of Dartmouth Basketball correspondence, including newsletters, e-mail updates, gift acknowledgements, and letters. Writes much of the correspondence.
• Plans, organizes and manages special events (e.g., game day activities, receptions, special recognitions, alumni game and annual golf tournament)..
• Works with head coach to develop and monitor annual Friends budget.
• Plans and organizes meetings of the Friends Advisory Board, develops appropriate reports to share with Board members, and provides Board members with administrative support as needed.
• Assists the head coach in developing the annual recruiting, equipment and general expense budgets (subvention and Friends).
• Works closely with athletic administrators to provide oversight of financial matters to ensure that resources are efficiently and effectively utilized and supported by the budget.
• Reviews and approves invoices, purchase orders, and monthly transaction reports.
• Communicates regularly with head coach and Business Office regarding status of budget.
• Works with Department’s travel coordinator and independently to plan logistics for away games, including transportation, lodging, meals, snacks, meeting space, audio-visual needs, practice times, and travel itineraries.
• Travels with team for away games and serves as on-site coordinator. Maintains open communication with service groups (hotels, caterers, bus companies) to anticipate and/or resolve issues.
• Reconciles expenses.
• Oversees filming and video capture of all home and away games.
• Manages tape exchange.
• Liaison with event management staff and Athletic Facilities Office for home games.
• Plans, organizes and staffs pre- and post-game receptions.
• Serves as primary liaison with men’s basketball alumni and parents of players.
• Acts as host for recruits and their parents, and coordinates various pre- and post-game appointments.
• Arranges pre-game meals.
• Coordinates athlete complimentary admissions with compliance office and ticket office.
• Organizes coaches’ ticket requests.
• Coordinates tickets for prospects and families during recruiting visits.
• Primary liaison between the men’s basketball staff and may offices within the department and College, including, but not limited to, Compliance, Student Enhancement, Facilities and Operations
• Marketing and Promotions, Athletic Training, Strength & Conditioning, Varsity Athletics Communications, Business Office, Equipment Room, and Ticket Office.
• Uses independent judgment to represent head coach and make decisions when possible.
• Organizes and coordinates: facility and practice schedules for men’s basketball, team awards banquet, student-athlete community service, youth clinics, and memberships and professional development opportunities for coaching staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned
2. Cover Letter
1. Additional Document #1
2. Additional Document #2