Posting Number: S00552
Pay Grade/Category: Intermediate Contributor A
Position Type: Exempt
Division: Enrollment & Communications
Proposed Start Date: 08/01/2017
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Head Coach is responsible for the organization and administration of all aspects of the sport coached with significant responsibilities in areas including staff supervision, teaching and implementing skills and strategy, the academic success of respective student-athletes, recruiting, budget development, scheduling, purchasing, facility maintenance, public relations and implementation of NCAA, conference and institutional policy and regulations.
• Be individually responsible for the organization and operation of the program.
• Develop and implement coaching strategies and establish expectations that facilitate the achievement of the student-athlete learning outcomes in the areas such as: teamwork, time management, problem-solving, conflict resolution, leadership and personal/professional networking.
• Teaching athletic skills and team concepts as well as implementing skills and strategy in competitive situations.
• Ensure that all actions of assistant coaches and student-athletes of the program are performed with the appropriate level of instruction, safety precautions and training and the physical well-being of each individual is taken into account.
• Assist the Office of the Director of Athletics in developing a game schedule for each year.
• Provide leadership in establishing, regulating, publicizing and enforcing all team regulations regarding personal conduct.
• Ensure adherence to the policies, procedures and regulations of organizations to which the College belongs, including the NCAA and Centennial Conference. The head coach shall also assume responsibility for maintaining a working knowledge of pertinent standards established by these organizations.
• Developing and implementing a successful program for student-athlete recruitment.
• Assist the Director of Sports Information and Director of Athletic Digital Media in compiling and submitting to the media and other offices statistics and award nominations as are required or appropriate.
• Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all supplies and equipment used and be responsible for the care of all athletic equipment. Following the final intercollegiate contest a detailed inventory should be developed and submitted to the Office of the Director of Athletics.
• Assist the Director of Athletics in developing the budget for the program.
• Develop a relationship with the program’s alumni through: alumni games/events, informational mailings, e-mail updates and/or personal interaction with the alumni of the program with the hope of building a strong and supportive alumni network.
• Foster existing and establish new relationships in conjunction with the Director of Athletics and the Office of College Advancement with alumni, friends, parents and/or the community to develop friend-raising and/or fund-raising opportunities for the program and the College.
• Ensure that student-athletes have completed all required eligibility forms, etc. prior to participating. In addition, the head coach shall keep the Office of the Director of Athletics notified of all changes in the team roster.
• Draw and manage all funds needed for travel and supplies through the Office of the Director of Athletics.
• Upon return from each intercollegiate athletic trip, the head coach will be responsible for providing a financial accounting to the Director of Athletics within two days of the contest.
• Assist the athletic trainer and other college health personnel in the care and prevention of injury. The head coach will also cooperate with the athletic trainer’s office concerning all injuries requiring attention by a physician.
• Following the final intercollegiate contest of the season, develop a list of varsity award recipients. In addition, the head coach shall develop a written review of the season including team roster, season record with game by game scores, individual and team all-time records established and a narrative summary of season highlights.
• Provide direct supervision for all assistant coaches.
• Ensure that personal conduct of the coaching staff, as well as that of student-athletes, is in keeping with the policies of the NCAA and the Centennial Conference. In addition, such conduct must at all times present an appropriate image to the College, visiting teams and the community.
• Assist in the delivery of a program of social and educational support for student-athletes.
• All other duties as assigned and therefore deemed necessary and appropriate by the Director of Athletics or his/her representative.
Bachelors’ degree required with 3-5 years’ previous coaching experience.
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and the mastery of strategies associated with the sport.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Is this a Temporary Position?: No
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
If Full-Time, please specify: 12 month full-time (52 weeks)
If Part-Time, please specify: Not Applicable
2. Cover Letter/Letter of Application