Providing the highest level of quality service and teaching
Campus/Instructional Site- Floyd
Salary- Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline- Position open until filled and applications will be screened as received.
Accept References- No
Job Description Summary –
This role functions as an Assistant Men’s and Women’s Basketball Coach and Housing Coordinator in a multi-site University System of Georgia college. GHC is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association, NJCAA (Division 1). Reporting to the head coach of the men’s basketball team, this position will assist the head coach of both teams in all aspects of their programs. The position will also supervise student athlete housing.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular fulltime staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
Key Responsibilities –
• Identify and recruit potential student athletes
• Perform on-court instruction and player development
• Conduct and supervise off-season conditioning
• Monitor student athletes’ progress and implement strategies to ensure academic and athletic success with an emphasis on sportsmanship, integrity, a competitive spirit and academic success
• Perform administrative duties such as travel and camp coordination and execution
• Promote athletic program and events to the campus and community; raise funds in conjunction with the Office of Advancement and the President’s Office
• Perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with the mission, goals, and core values of the college
• Maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds
*Supervises student-athlete housing and monitors daily schedules and transportation needs of student-athlete.
Key Qualifications –
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of an associate’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field, bachelors preferred
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for two to three years
• Successful recruiting experience with a proven record of success in athletics and student academics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities –
• General knowledge of intercollegiate athletics at the NJCAA level
• Strong knowledge of NJCAA rules and regulations or ability to learn and retain quickly
• General knowledge of Title IX regulations
• General knowledge of FERPA guidelines
• Working knowledge of psychology, sociology, and leadership theories
• Knowledge and experience with fund raising methods
• Knowledge and the ability to apply technology to athletic program management
• Knowledge of the repair and maintenance of fitness equipment
• Knowledge of tennis court, basketball gym, and athletic area maintenance
• Knowledge of college budgetary and purchasing policies
• Knowledge of sports and intramural activities
2. Cover Letter