Plans, organizes, directs, and controls duties and responsibilities of a head basketball coach with the approval of the Director of Athletics. Coordinates game management.
1. Organizes and conducts all practice sessions for the basketball team.
2. Recruits student-athletes for the basketball program.
3. Manages budget for basketball program, making requests for major purchases through the Director of Athletics.
4. Ensures institutional compliance of basketball program by adhering to all policies and procedures of the NCAA and Centennial Conference.
5. Monitors academic progress of basketball players through advising and referrals.
6. Works with Sports Information Director regarding brochures and media relations for the basketball program.
7. Develops and maintains working relationship with other college departments, including admissions, student affairs, and the dining hall.
8. Supervises the duties of assistant coaches.
9. Attends clinics whenever possible.
10. Responsible for developing training rules and monitoring the conduct of athletes when they are representing Washington College, both on and off campus.
11. Recommends athletes for awards.
12. Coordinates the scheduling, providing of officials and transportation for intercollegiate contests with the Director of Athletics.
13. Develops and recommends budget data; authorizes expenditures in accordance with approved budget; approves budgets and expenses of subordinates. Orders equipment for annual use by the basketball team, disburses funds for meals on athletic trips and serves as supervisor for all varsity basketball functions.
14. Attends all Centennial Conference basketball meetings.
15. Assigns work study students, evaluates, schedules, etc.
16. Works with training staff to ensure that all athletes are medically cleared to participate.
17.Works with athletic department office to ensure that all athletes meet NCAA eligibility requirements.
18. Co-coordinates game management for all intercollegiate sports, excluding rowing, swimming, sailing and tennis.
19. Coordinates with facility managers for game apparatus.
20. Coordinates fundraising for the men’s basketball team.
For Assistant Coaching staff:
1.Develops short and long range operating objectives; reviews existing organizational structure and staffing requirements; recommends and implements changes as needed.
2.Provides appropriate supervision, including communication of clearly defined job responsibilities, adequate training and development, and provision for backup.
3.Monitors performance of staff and provides prompt and objective coaching and counseling in managerial and technical matters. Reviews and approves performance appraisals initiated by subordinates of their staff. Evaluates subordinates.
4. Assures that effective communications are maintained within areas of responsibility. Where appropriate, informs staff as to plans and progress. Conducts staff discussion sessions at regular and frequent intervals.
5. Assures that necessary coordination within the area of responsibility is occurring and that coordination of the assigned area with those of other College departments is taking place.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree and/or “terminal” degree in related field preferred.
Experience and Background:
1. Previous coaching experience on the high school, club, or college level in basketball.
2. Working knowledge of computers, including word processing and database software.
How to Apply:
When applying please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three professional references through our on-line portal at https://highereddecisions.com/wcm/current_vacancies.asp. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.