Department: Athletics Recruitment #: S1517 Closing Date: Review begins immediately. Position is open until filled. This is a full-time, 12-month, annually renewable, unclassified position in the Athletic Department at Western Oregon University (WOU) in Monmouth. WOU is a NCAA Division II member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference competing in 13 team sports: Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Track and Field, Cross Country, and Softball and Men’s Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track and Field, and Cross Country. WOU is one of two Division II NCAA programs in the State of Oregon.
ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The employee, as a member of the Intercollegiate Athletic Department, agrees to represent the University in an honorable and ethical manner at all times, to the best of her/his abilities. Standards for ethical conduct for Athletic Department staff are established and enforced by the Athletic Director, the University, the State of Oregon, the State Board of Higher Education, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, and the NCAA.
KEY CULTURAL COMPENTENCIES: 1. Create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrated differences 2. Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds 3. Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting with a willingness to change for continual improvement 4. Adhere to all of WOU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: In accordance with all NCAA, conference, and institutional policies and procedures, the position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach reports to the Director of Athletics and is responsible for the entire operation of the men’s basketball program. Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: coaching and recruiting of student-athletes, tracking student-athlete academic progress, managing assigned budget, coordinating travel arrangements for team competition, program planning and forecasting, fund-raising, camps/clinics, and other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Three or more years of collegiate basketball coaching experience
• Demonstrated excellence in professional/interpersonal communication skills, commitment to developing a successful men’s basketball program both academically and athletically with a high standard of integrity
• Possess a working knowledge of NCAA Division II by-laws and proven leadership in the successful fulfillment of basketball coaching responsibilities which include: basketball coaching skills, fiscal management, fund-raising, recruiting, administrative, organizational and public relations experience.
• Ability to work as a team member, be self-directed, and be willing to serve as good-will ambassador for Western Oregon University
• Master’s degree
• Five or more years collegiate coaching experience at the NCAA I or II level
TO APPLY SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING (Pdf documents preferred):
1) WOU Employment Application form (available at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp)
2) Letter of application
4) Contact information for three references
5) Unofficial copy of transcript for highest degree earned
Send to: S1517, Head Coach – Men’s Basketball, Human Resources, Western Oregon University, 345 N. Monmouth Avenue, Monmouth, OR 97361; OR e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; OR fax to: 503-838-8144.