Major/Essential Duties of the Job: The major/essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions which, are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:
• Recruiting: identifies prospective scholar-athletes qualified for admission to McMurry University; effectively communicates with prospective scholar-athletes; effectively communicates and coordinates recruitment efforts with McMurry’s Office of Admissions.
• Coaching/Scholar-Athlete Experience: demonstrates knowledge of, and ability to develop, sport skills, strategies and philosophy; promotes scholar-athlete welfare and provides appropriate mentoring to scholar-athletes and assistant coaches.
• Program Administration: operates within all University, American Southwest Conference and NCAA III guidelines; schedules practices; maintains inventory of equipment, uniforms, and supplies; carry out team travel according to established policies and procedures; effectively communicates within the Department and with University community on matters pertaining to the women’s basketball program.
• Supervision: identifies, hires, trains and evaluates assistant coaches, including volunteers; ensures that assistant coach/volunteers adhere to all University, American Southwest Conference and NCAA III guidelines.
Occasional duties: As assigned by the Athletic Director, which may include secondary responsibilities
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
2. Four years experience in coaching at the college level or significant experience coaching at the high school level, or equivalent required and/or collegiate playing experience.
3. Ability to effectively teach and coach students in both a team and individual setting.
4. Ability to recruit outstanding scholar-athletes to a strong academic environment.
5. A commitment to providing a positive role model and leadership to the team as well as excellent communication skills are required.
6. Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies.
1. Master’s degree preferred.
2. Three to five years coaching experience at the college level. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names of three references to: Debbie Ford, Head Women’s Basketball Coach Search, McMurry University, 1 McMurry University Box 188, Abilene, TX 79697, Email: [email protected] Review of applications will begin upon receipt and continue until the position is filled. McMurry University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.