Reports to: Head Men’s Basketball Coach and Athletic Director
Works Closely with: Athletic Department Staff; Enrollment Staff, Men’s Basketball Team Members, and Athletic Director
This position will report to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and Athletic Director. This internship is designed as a 10-month experience from August 1, to May 31. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one year renewal.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
• Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
• Civil debate
• Passion and enthusiasm
• Dignity and respect for individuals
• A diverse and inclusive community
• Integrity and responsibility
• Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities – Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the Intern will:
• Assist with on-the-court coaching and individual player development.
• Assist with coaching junior varsity and varsity during practice and competitions.
• Assist with identification, recruitment, and retention of student-athletes.
• Assist in all areas of team development, including in-season and out-of-season activities as allowed by Millikin, CCIW, and NCAA.
• Assist in the day-to-day operation, including but not limited to, video editing, travel and equipment.
• Assist in promoting the men’s basketball program through social media and game-day events.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
• Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
• Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
• Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond basketball.
• Perform duties in the area of event management.
• Perform duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics to assist with different sports programs at Millikin.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Men’s basketball coaching and/or playing experience at the collegiate level
• The successful candidate must demonstrate effective and excellent leadership, motivational, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Dexterity to operate a keyboard
• Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
• Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
• Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
• Outdoor exposure to weather
• Alternative or flexible work schedule
• Travel and/or periodic overnight travel