Bargaining Unit: PSA
Department: Intercollegiate Athletics – 04110
Position Type: Staff
Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled
Optional Applicant Documents: Other Document
Posting Number: 0604023
Under the direction of the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach will aid in all aspects of recruitment, training, and athletic competition of the men’s Basketball Team. This position will also operate under NCAA bylaws.
NCAA Compliance: Knowledge of and adherence to all applicable NCAA rules, regulations, bylaws, constitutions and related university rules, regulations and policies.
This function finds its incumbent providing a full array of services related to the men’s basketball team. By way of illustration and not limitation, this function:
1. Assists in organizing, preparing and conducting individual and team practices, training, and competition
2. Assists in the identification and recruitment of prospective student-athletes for the men’s intercollegiate basketball program, in accordance with NCAA rules, regulations, guidelines and standards
3. Assists in scheduling all men’s intercollegiate basketball competitions
4. Provides guidance and assistance to student-athletes on a range of personal issues, as required
5. Leads, monitors and coordinates training and practice sessions, ensuring that all appropriate safety guidelines and standards are maintained
6. Recommends and submits proposed budget for the men’s intercollegiate basketball program for each upcoming season
7. Fund raises, as needed, with university Advancement to supplement additional monies for the program
8. Recommends the purchasing of equipment and uniform apparel as needed for the men’s intercollegiate basketball program
9. Provides assistance in the coordination and administration of the program as required
10. Represents the sports program to various institutional programs and to government agencies, funding agencies, students, parents and the general public
Additional Functions: Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related Administrative, Business, Liberal Arts or Social Sciences discipline required
• Three to five years of experience in coaching men’s basketball on the High School or collegiate level
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students required
• Demonstrated competitive coaching skills in area of sporting specialty
• Knowledge of applicable team or individual sport and its playing rules
• Must possess the ability to foster a cooperative environment
• Must be able to organize and coordinate
• Must have knowledge of NCAA student-athlete academic eligibility requirements
• Must have knowledge of NCAA recruiting rules
• Must have the ability to understand, follow and enforce safety procedures
• Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
At the university’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree preferred
Must abide by the university’s core values which include excellence, integrity, civility, social responsibility, diversity and communication.
1. Achievement/Goal Orientation -Demonstrates a concern and aptitude for achieving or surpassing results against an internal or external standard of excellence, showing passion for improving the delivery of services with a commitment to continuous improvement.
2. Persistence – Tenacity -Works systematically and tirelessly to meet or exceed inherent and stated goals and standards for the position, departmental and university initiatives. Perseveres despite adversity.
3. Accomplishment Aptitude -Establishes and follows through on a systematic course of action for self or others to assure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively producing desired results at the level expected for the position.
4. Teamwork/Team Orientation -Willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties; works cooperatively with others to accomplish departmental and university objectives.
5. Honesty and Integrity -Acts in accordance with all university and departmental policies, procedures and expectations.
6. Communication -Demonstrates the ability to clearly express ideas, thoughts, and concepts verbally and/or in writing, as appropriate to the position and task at hand. Communicates effectively on a continual basis regarding all aspects related to the Intercollegiate Athletic and Physical Education Department.
Required Applicant Documents:
• Resume / CV
• Cover Letter
To Apply, click the “Apply for Job” button and then on “APPLY FOR THIS POSTING” button