Job #: 1616
The Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach will be responsible for serving as Head Coach of the Women’s Basketball Junior Varsity program as well as serving as the primary recruiter for the JV team. The JV coach will meet target recruitment goals for the program outlined in the JV Program Business Plan. The Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach will assist the Head Women’s Basketball Coach in other program areas as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for JV Program practice preparation and game coaching
• Assist with Varsity practice preparation and game coaching
• Responsible for identifying , attracting and matriculating outstanding women’s basketball student-athletes to the university
• Achieving recruitment goals for the JV Program
• Assist the head coach as needed in scheduling competitive events for both Varsity and JV Programs
• Assists the head coach in completing all travel arrangements as required
• Makes financial reports for all JV trips away from home where money has been advanced and keeps accurate records when expenses are to be repaid
• Under the supervision of the head coach, works within the parameters of operating, recruiting and work-study budgets
• Works with the head coach in the purchasing of equipment, supplies and uniforms for both Varsity and JV Programs adhering to departmental policies
• Follows all NCAA, NWC and Pacific University rules and regulations which pertain to the Women’s Basketball Program
• Successfully completes the NCAA Rules Exam annually
• Cooperates with the Head Athletic Trainer to ensure that athletes receive quality care, prevention and treatment of injuries
• Attend all Pacific Athletic Department Coaches Meetings
• Works with the Sports Information office to promote the Women’s Basketball JV Program and to ensure proper staffing for JV events
• Functions as a team player within the department and shares the vision for the future of the Women’s Basketball Program and Athletic Department as outlined by Athletics Strategic Plan
• Exercises good judgment in projecting positive coaching behavior
• Leads by example in promoting “class image” for the program
• Encourages good sportsmanship and fosters desirable athlete/coach relationships
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: Other duties within the Athletic Department will be assigned to this position. Responsibilities which may be included, but are not limited to: Intramural Sports support, Game Management duties, Sports Information, Building Supervision and/or other related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITY: The Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach will report directly to the Head Women’s Basketball Coach. All coaches and staff in Pacific Athletics report to the Director of Athletics.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor’s Degree is required; Master’s Degree is preferred. A significant and successful record as an Assistant Coach at the college level in the sport of Women’s Basketball is ideal. The successful candidate should possess strong leadership and communication skills and have the ability to recruit high quality student-athletes. The candidate must be committed to the mission of a private liberal arts University and have an understanding of how the sport of Women’s Basketball and Athletics in general fit into this environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & BEHAVIORS:
a) Communicates with students, faculty, staff and the public appropriate to the age of the individual served.
b) Builds on basic learning and carries it from one situation to another.
c) Demonstrates critical thinking skills in problem solving and decision-making.
d) Asks questions and seeks assistance.
e) Takes responsibility to eliminate the source of problems.
f) Demonstrates confidentiality regarding information pertaining to all students, faculty and staff.
g) Maintains proper appearance and personal conduct for the employee’s particular job.
h) Uses effective communication skills taking into consideration body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing, and questions with customers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
i) Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: General coaching environment.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: x_Climbing xBalancing x_Stooping x_Kneeling x_Crouching x_Crawling x_Reaching x_Standing x_Walking x_Pushing x_Pulling x_Lifting x_Fingering x_Grasping x_Feeling x_Talking x_Hearing x_Repetitive motion
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: __Sedentary work __Light work x_Medium work __Heavy work __Very Heavy work __Visual acuity
APPLICATION: Please email cover letter, resume and names and phone numbers of three professional references. Please name your documents as shown in the following example: (Example: Adams_Amy letter, Adams_Amy resume, Adams_Amy references). You may also mail your application materials to:
Human Resources/Pacific University,
2043 College Way,
Application materials will be screened and interview candidates will be selected and notified. The hiring process normally consists of several interviews and can last several weeks depending on the position. Employment is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and successful completion of a background check.