The Johnnies compete in 12 intercollegiate sports at the NCAA Division III level, traditionally placing among the top teams in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC). Saint John’s basketball has won seven MIAC conference basketball titles and has a program history winning percentage of 1,167-1,084-2 (. 518). The new head basketball coach will replace Jim Smith, who ended his career as the second winningest coach in the history of NCAA Division III basketball.
SAINT JOHN’S VALUED BASKETBALL PHILOSOPHIES
SJU values a high quality co-curricular experience for its basketball student-athletes. SJU values success and winning, yet does not compromise its academic standards and standards of personal conduct for success on the court. The basketball program values the MIAC and its members, NCAA philosophies for Division III, and a dedicated coaching staff.
– Run a successful and responsible program that reflects positively on the University.
– Oversee basketball recruiting in collaboration with the Admission Office. Recruit and meet with all prospective student-athletes who express interest in basketball.
– Ensure the eligibility of student-athletes and promote a great co-curricular experience.
– Oversee budget management for the basketball program, including equipment purchases, distribution, inventory, and repairs.
– Negotiate contracts for practice; schedule practice and game times. Hire and supervise qualified full-time and part-time coaching staff. – Collaborate with SJU staff and media representatives to produce positive public relations both internally and externally.
– Maintain current knowledge of MIAC and NCAA Division III compliance, and follow the rules set forth by these associations.
– Evaluate coaching personnel, student-athlete personnel, and the overall program; effectively recommend changes for continuous improvement and success.
HEAD BASKETBALL COACH QUALIFICATIONS
SJU seeks a respected Leader, Mentor, Motivator and Role Model of young men to serve as the next Head Coach. Successful candidates will demonstrate: passion for the game; a winning spirit; a desire to maintain the Johnnie Basketball Program’s prominence in the NCAA Division III; the aspiration to compete at a championship level; appreciation for and willingness to apply the Benedictine values of community, respect, listening, dignity, hospitality, and stewardship to the basketball program.
Key qualifications include, but are not limited to the following:
– Baccalaureate degree (Masters preferred).
– Proven basketball coaching experience with a track record of success (head basketball coaching experience preferred).
– Demonstrated leadership skills.
– Proven basketball recruitment experience utilizing state-of-the-art technique.
– Highly effective communication and organizational skills.
– Strong financial and talent management skills, including supervisory experience.
– Computer literacy.
– Knowledge of the mission of the MIAC and NCAA Division III compliance requirements.
– Knowledge of MN and the Midwest High School Basketball. Community and strong networking skills are highly desirable.
– A willingness to be visible on campus and in the community positively representing SJU.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications are accepted online at http://employment.csbsju.edu. You will complete an application form and attach a cover letter and resume.
The cover letter should address the qualifications contained in the profile above and include the names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately. Application deadline is March 31, 2015.
Saint John’s University is committed to the highest standards of professionalism in all dealings with candidates, sources, and references.
For further information, questions may be addressed to Tom Stock, SJU Athletic Director, [email protected] .
Women, individuals of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Saint John’s University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.