With tournament time right around the corner here are a few tips to make sure your team is fresh going into games:
- Give your team time to foam roll and go through mobility/stretching routines.
- Utilize Cold tub immersion and contrast bath post practice.
- Remind your team that 8-10 hours of sleep is optimal for their age group.
- Encourage proper nutritional habits.
Five benefits of proper sleep for athletes (1)
– Improved reaction times
– Reduced injury rates
– Longer playing careers
– Better accuracy, faster sprint times
– Fewer mental errors
Cold Tub Immersion (2)
– Reduces inflammation.
– Has a pain-reducing effect.
– Recommended temperature: 50-60o F.
– 8-12-minute immersion is recommended.
Contrast Bath (3)
– Contrast between hot tub and cold tub.
– Has a pumping effect of blood which aids in flushing of bi-products.
– Pain-reducing effect.
– Start with hot tub and finish with cold tub.
– Three rounds of 3-minute hot tub and 3-minute cold tub.
– 50-60o F for cold tub and 100-103o F for hot tub is recommended.
- Fatigue Science. (2015, September 23). 5 areas sleep has the greatest impact on athletic performance [Web log post]. Retrieved June 2, 2016, from http://www.fatiguescience.com/blog/5-ways-sleep-impacts-peak-athletic-performance
- Quinn, E. (2016, April 28). After Exercise – Does and Ice Water Bath Speed Recovery? [Web log post]. Retrieved June 2, 2016, from https://www.verywell.com/after-exercise-does-an-ice-water-bath-speed-recovery-3120571
- Matsui, C. (2015, September 21). Do Ice and Contrast Baths Really Work? NYC Strength Coach [Web log post]. Retrieved June 2, 2016, from http://www.fusiontrained.com/do-ice-and-contrast-baths-work/ 65.
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach
University of Michigan Men’s Basketball
40% OFF with promo code hoopcoach
Purchase my book here: http://www.malloybooks.com/JonSanderson.html