I took these notes about practice blocks from a video with two time NBA coach of the year and a current television analyst Hubie Brown. Sidenote: The NBA Coach of the Year awards came 26 years a part.
Practice Lengths – to save legs for end of the year tournaments practices are shortened at pre-determined dates.
- November and December → 2 hours
- January –> 1.5 hours
- February → 1 hour
Hubie Brown Blocks
- Exercise – 10mins of conditioning
- Shooting – 10 min
- Big Man Day – get those post moves in
- Rapid Fire Day – volume shooting 60-80 shots per player
- Spot Shooting – spots are based on locations within your offense where you often get shots.
- Defense – 10 min block – 5 two min drills – BLOCK OUTS
- Offensive Specialty
- Post Moves
- Stuff from your frequently used offense
- Fast Break – 2 on 1, 3 on 2
- Pressure – Trapping and Getting Trapped – 15 mins
- Full Court Press – 1-2-1-1
- 3/4 Court Press – 2-2-1
- Half Court Press – 1-3-1
- Baseline Out of Bounds Plays
- Sideline Out of Bounds Plays
- Length of the Court Plays like last second shots
The longer I have coached I have just realized to try and make as much competition drills as possible in practice.
Players love it and it energizes them !!!!